**Please provide a resume, cover letter, and writing sample**
Under the supervision of the Chief of Staff, the Program Manager, Outreach and Communication will spearhead the communication and outreach endeavor of IICD. S/he will develop and cultivate collaborative relationships with inside and outside the Columbia community, showcase and highlight the Institute's strengths and oversee the education program of the Institute.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with the Chief of Staff, Director, and members of the Institute to determine content and topics for the website, newsletters, and social media
- Write or oversee the drafting, editing, and reviewing of stories that showcase and highlight the Institute's strengths such as newsletters, announcements, website content, and social media content
- Develop initiatives that produce scientific content
- Develop and manage an effective social media strategy
- Maintain mailing lists and website content; oversee content development and front-end web functions for the IICD website
- Support IICD leadership with communications material, and provide communications support, including copyediting, proofreading, and quality control
Event management, Education/Outreach (50%):
- Design, plan, schedule, promote and execute IICD cross-campus interdisciplinary events such as seminar series, symposiums, and workshops
- Oversee the design, creation, and management of new scientific programs and community initiatives taking into consideration diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Develop and cultivate collaborative relationships with inside and outside the Columbia community related to the mission of the Institute. In particular, develop a collaborative relationship with the STEM department in Arts and Sciences and the School of Applied Engineering, as well as the departments of Arts and Humanities at Columbia University
- Plan, coordinate, and implement admissions and recruitment efforts for the undergraduate summer program, summer internship, and other educational initiatives
- Oversee the completion of the summer program, summer internship, and any other educational initiative
- Oversee and coordinate training grant applications
- Bachelor’s degree and Master’s degree and/or three or more years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. A degree in STEM disciplines.
- Excellent writing, editorial, and interpersonal and project management skills. Experience as a writer with a focus in Science Communications. Ability to communicate complex scientific material to expert and general audiences alike.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to coordinate and execute multiple projects simultaneously. Reliability and efficiency.Ability to work both independently and as part of a broader team.
- Doctorate Degree in Biology or related field. Experience working in a higher education academic setting preferred.
- Experience in social media strategy, working knowledge of online platforms like Drupal, Hootsuite.
- Familiarity and experience with basic graphic design and layout principles, processes, and software, including Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Experience in graduate admissions.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.