Details: The annualized compensation for this position falls between $32,000-40,000 as overtime is frequently incurred.
Landscaping Crew Leader - Pittsburgh, PA
Center for Employment Opportunities
Are you looking for greater purpose within your work? Do you thrive when supporting a team to collectively achieve success? Do you enjoy coaching team members? Do you like to work outdoors in a nontraditional work setting?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, we want to receive your resume for our Landscaping Crew Leader position!
Who We Are
The Center for Employment Opportunities (CEO) provides employment services to people with recent criminal convictions. Across the United States, over 5,000 people participate in CEO each year, transitioning to employment that supports themselves, their families, and their communities.
What began as a demonstration project of the Vera Institute of Justice in the 1970s to address employment barriers facing the formerly incarcerated following release in New York City has grown into the leader in reentry employment organization in the country, where over 25,000 formerly incarcerated individuals have secured full-time employment since 1996. Since 2009, CEO has gained support to expand its programs through government, nonprofit, and private organizations including the Federal Social Innovation Fund, Edna McConnell Clark Foundation, Robin Hood Foundation, James Irvine Foundation, Tipping Point Community, and Google.org. In 2016, CEO embarked on a 5-year strategic plan to grow to serve 9,000 participants annually.
We’re looking for Landscaping Crew Leaders (known internally as Site Supervisors) to help us live our mission to prepare people with recent criminal convictions for securing employment each year. Landscaping Crew Leaders support, supervise, and train work crews of 6-8 participants, creating uplifting work environments for our participants that ensure their safety, providing on-the-job coaching, encouraging and empowering team members to seize each opportunity for building knowledge and skills, and fostering engagement and accountability across the crew. Through this work, Landscaping Crew Leaders make real impact on our participants’ lives.
Why this work is important….
Every participant works as part of a transitional work crew to gain hands-on experience and income while concurrently working with CEO’s vocational staff to identify and secure long-term employment -- transitional work opportunities contribute to greater stability as an individual is getting back on their feet.
Who You Are
- This role is ideal for an individual who doesn’t want to sit at a desk all day, who prefers to have a nontraditional workspace.
- You have a proven track record of leading teams to achieve success and your efficient and friendly customer service makes you a trusted partner.
- You exercise compassion toward the team you’re leading but balance this with a straightforward approach that ensures you meet the needs of your customers.
- You are respectful, fair, and patient.
- You pride yourself in your ability to communicate effectively with individuals of varying backgrounds and experiences. You recognize the value of continuous communication, looping others into project status and any challenges that arise.
- You have strong organizational skills and are able to delegate, prioritize, and manage you and your team’s time effectively to meet project deadlines.
- You foster strong team spirit and enjoy providing 1:1 support to team members who may need a little extra encouragement.
- You are deeply passionate about and committed to excellence and having impact within our participants’ lives.
Key responsibilities of the Landscaping Crew Leader include but are not limited to:
- Ensuring customers’ work orders are completed to a high standard on a daily basis
- Establishing and maintaining positive staff morale through modeling sound leadership and teamwork
- Assigning job duties to crew members and setting reasonable goals for completion
- Monitoring crew members on job performance and productivity, providing appropriate feedback and/or additional training as needed
- Maintaining line of sight of all participants
- Maintaining a safe, secure, and healthy work environment by following and enforcing standards and procedures and complying with legal regulations and by reporting any matters that threaten the smooth operation of the training crew to your supervisor
- Completing any necessary daily reporting tasks
The Nitty Gritty Qualifications
- You must be able to work a typical schedule of 6:30AM-4:30PM every weekday (M-F) and be willing to work outdoors in all weather
- High school diploma, along with at least one year of supervisory experience; experience within a vocational trade (construction, landscaping, building maintenance, grounds maintenance, land surveying) preferred
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record
- Previous safety training preferable, though training will be provided to hired candidate
- Must be able to: Consistently lift and move objects up to 75 pounds; stand, kneel, bend, and climb in order to complete projects; work outdoors;walk or stand for long periods of time;drive a 12 passenger van with an attached trailer; operate a smartphone
More About Us
We welcome diversity and highly encourage applications from people of color and people with convictions. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more at ceoworks.org.
Team members can also access CEO’s comprehensive benefits package, which includes medical and dental coverage, paid parental leave, participation in a retirement plan, sick and vacation leave, paid holidays and more.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your application materials, including a resume and cover letter, using the link provided. Please note: our application portal is optimized for use with Google Chrome.