PaintCare seeks a qualified candidate to assist with maintaining and monitoring the paint stewardship program in California. This position will be located in Southern California and will coordinate the activities of the PaintCare program for a portion of Southern California and surrounding areas as needed.
PaintCare, a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, was established by the American Coatings Association (ACA) to implement state-mandated paint stewardship programs on behalf of paint manufacturers in each state that adopts a paint stewardship law. Funding for PaintCare is provided through a fee on new paint sales. Funding is used to establish drop-off sites where the public can take leftover paint for recycling, pay for the recycling of this paint, and provide public education and program administration. Oregon passed the first industry-supported paint stewardship law in 2009. California’s program has been operating since October 2012. Similar programs are being implemented in Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Maine, Minnesota, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Vermont. Please visit www.paintcare.org for more information.
· Meet and communicate with paint retail stores, municipal household hazardous waste (HHW) programs and other program stakeholders.
· Identify potential paint drop-off sites which will include paint retailers, HHW facilities, solid waste transfer stations and landfills. Explain how to become a PaintCare drop-off site, evaluate their suitability for partnering with PaintCare.
· Set up paint drop-off sites: establish contracts, provide training, coordinate with haulers to arrange transportation of paint from site.
· Monitor drop-off site operations: conduct site visits and audits on a regular schedule or as needed/requested, identify problems and implement corrections, maintain successful relationships with site operators.
· Arrange special collection/transportation from temporary events and from painting contractors, property managers, and other large producers of leftover paint.
· Public outreach: distribute public information materials to drop-off sites upon request, including those retailers that are not drop-off sites, assist PaintCare with monitoring use and usability of materials by sites. Be a highly visible resource in the region for connecting the public with opportunities for reuse and recycling.
· Marketing: Provide local knowledge and insight to marketing/outreach to improve communication initiatives within the region.
· Recordkeeping: maintain computer database of drop-off site information, generate reports as needed.
· Make presentations to small and large groups (e.g., home shows, conferences, trade associations).
· Report to West Coast Program Manager.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
· Experience with and/or knowledge of hazardous materials, hazardous waste management and programs, hazardous waste laws and regulations, HHW programs, state environmental agencies, hazardous materials/waste storage requirements, hazardous waste transportation and processing.
· Experience with and/or knowledge of retail operations, infrastructure and communications, including big box, chain, franchise, co-op, and independent stores.
· Familiarity with paint products.
· Familiarity and comfort with users of paint, particularly trade painters, contractors, paint retailers and property managers.
· Experience with public speaking, training and/or making presentations.
· Experience with and/or knowledge of product stewardship programs, laws and organizations.
· Ability to work independently from home.
· Willingness to travel extensively within the region to recruit sites, train retail staff, and distribute outreach materials. Occasional travel in California, to Washington D.C. and other locations in the US for trainings, conferences, or meetings.
· Proficiency with computers and typical office software.
· Proficiency in Spanish.
· Valid state driver’s license required.
Location and Travel
This position is located in California. The employee will work from home. The ideal candidate will be in close proximity to San Bernardino or east Los Angeles. Extensive travel throughout the State may be required to visit drop-off sites and meet with local stakeholders. Overnight travel time will vary and may exceed 50% of the time.
Level of Language Proficiency
English required. Spanish also preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter stating your motivations for applying and salary requirements, a sample that best exemplifies your writing ability (500 words, minimum), and a current resume, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “PaintCare Regional Coordinator - Southern California” in the email subject line. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.