Details: Part-time salaried position offering $25-$30/hour
2789 Hartland Road
Company: Small Christian international non-profit focused on fighting poverty through job creation.
Location: Falls Church, Virginia
Job Type: Temp to Direct Hire. This is a permanent part-time position.
Hours/Schedule: 16-20 hours/week
The position performs all accounting and payroll procedures for the organization. The position prepares the financial statements for the company’s fiscal year and works with outside auditors for the annual financial audit and any federal tax filings. The position provides internal controls and follows accounting policies and procedures, prepares budgets, monitors cash flow, and prepares financial reports and analyses. Additional responsibilities include overseeing the organization’s retirement plan, insurance coverage, and state charitable solicitation registrations.
Bookkeeping: Maintain accounting records; process and pay invoices and expense reimbursements; record donation revenue; allocate revenue, costs, payments, etc. to appropriate budgets or departments; prepare invoices or receivables as necessary; perform necessary reconciliations; maintain and account for fixed assets; make necessary accruals and journal entries in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles for nonprofits; conduct or provide information for audits to review financial records and operations; file financial reports.
- Use Quickbooks software to perform routine accounting tasks and prepare reports for monthly financial statements.
- Report financial performance.
- Learn, if necessary, and apply non-profit accounting, including contributions made to nonprofits and fund accounting for temporary restricted net assets. Communicate and coordinate with staff to ensure integrity of donor database and proper acknowledgment of donation.
- Prepare June 30 fiscal year-end financial information for outside auditors and annual report. Prepare documentation, data, and schedules required for the audit and 990 preparations. Work with the audit team to resolve any issues that arise during the audit. Work with the Board Audit Committee.
Internal Controls and Accounting Policy & Procedures:
- Implement internal controls for organization and update Accounting Policy and Procedure Manual as necessary. Oversee timesheet reporting, record revenue, and pay all invoices, expense reimbursements, and program funding on a timely basis in accordance with the proper procedures and controls.
- Prepare required reports and filings for governmental agencies, including state charitable solicitations registrations.
- Monitor and reconcile bank accounts; disburse and transfer funds upon proper approval; coordinate, report and record any donated stock investments.
- Prepare the annual budget and monitor/update as required and directed by the Executive Director.
- Report monthly payroll information to outside payroll company via internet portal.
- Report to outside payroll company any calendar year 1099 pay for independent contractors.
- Maintain payroll forms and tax forms for new employees.
- Report quarterly wages to Virginia Employment Commission and pay associated taxes.
- Account for and remit any salary deductions and salary redirections for healthcare premium reimbursement, health savings accounts, and Simple IRA retirement plan.
- Oversee organization’s retirement plan - communicate annual updates to employees.
- Calculate and process the company’s annual contribution to the Simple IRA.
- Oversee and prepare cost analyses for organization’s insurance needs, including worker’s compensation, healthcare, life/AD&D, business, and directors & officers
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance. A CPA is NOT required, but a plus
- Technical expertise in nonprofit accounting and experience in working for a nonprofit organization is highly desirable. The company’s treasurer can provide some assistance in this area.
- Knowledge of audit process and internal controls.
- Knowledge of QuickBooks software program.
- Skilled with Microsoft Office, specifically Microsoft Excel.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Self-starter; ability to work independently
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Willing to work in a faith-based organization that has a strong commitment to our mission of fighting poverty, creating jobs, and transforming lives by empowering the poor in developing countries with the use of micro-enterprise development programs.
Employer IRA match up to 3% of employee contributions
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
This position is based at Five Talents office in the Merrifield area of Falls Church, Virginia. Local applicants only please. Must have legal status to work in the U.S. Qualified candidates can apply by submitting a resume and cover letter via email.