Details: Target salary for this position depends on experience and qualifications.
225 Cristiani St.
The Vice President, Programs oversees the implementation, management, supervision, and evaluation of the national programs of American Atheists within the framework of the organizational vision of American Atheists. As a member of the senior management team, the Vice President, Programs will work directly with the President, members of the Board of Directors, and other stakeholders in strategic planning and in articulating the mission of the organization to the general public and to supporters.
Duties and Responsibilities
Program Administration and Delivery
- Implement, manage, supervise, and evaluate all activities of the programs of American Atheists;
- Serve as program lead and primary point of contact for the American Atheists annual conference;
- Develop, implement, and evaluate new programs to energize and activate the supporter base of American Atheists to meet the strategic vision of the organization;
- Recruit, train, and manage program staff and/or volunteers to help accomplish the goals and mission of American Atheists;
- Manage, oversee, and maintain the budgets for national programs;
- Identify, cultivate, and secure funding from American Atheists supporters and members for new and existing programs; and
- Travel nationally to lead American Atheists’ on-the-ground activities and mobilize local activists.
- Serve as a primary point of contact for national and local media and press for matters relating to American Atheists programs;
- Appear as a representative of American Atheists in television, radio, print, newsletters, magazines, and other forms of media for matters relating to American Atheists programming;
- In collaboration with communication staff, develop talking points for staff and volunteers about the programs and activities of American Atheists.
Development and Fundraising
- Cultivate, steward, maintain, and solicit a portfolio of existing major donors and secure funding for new and existing programs;
- Identify grant opportunities and generate applications to support American Atheists programs;
- Identify and solicit new major donors with specific interests that align with American Atheists programs.
- With the President (and other staff as determined by the President), develop, implement, evaluate, and revise as needed the strategic plan of American Atheists;
- Develop reporting metrics, statistics, and other means of evaluating the effectiveness of American Atheists programming; and,
- Serve as a senior advisor to the President on matters of programming, movement building, and operations.
- An undergraduate degree or equivalent experience, plus six to eight years of related experience;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, to articulate the priorities and mission of American Atheists;
- Experience soliciting and managing relationships with major donors with capacity to give in the $10,000+ range;
- Superb attention to detail and ability to meet regular deadlines;
- Experience as an on-the-record spokesperson;
- A demonstrated commitment to the atheist community; and,
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
American Atheists offers a generous benefits package, including paid sick, holiday, and vacation leave; 401(k) with employer match; comprehensive health and dental insurance; paid parental leave; and flexible scheduling and telecommute opportunities.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
American Atheists is committed to building a team that fully represent the community we serve. We recruit, employ, compensate, and promote candidates without regard for age, race, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political affiliations, past or present military service, marital status, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, or on the basis of personal favoritism or other non-merit factors. We believe that diversity, inclusion, and equity among our team is crucial to succeed as a voice for underrepresented and marginalized people.