1333 H Street Northwest
District of Columbia
Research Assistant, Economic Policy
Reports to: Managing Director, Economic Policy
Staff reporting to this position: None
Department: Economic Policy
Position classification: Exempt, full time
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Research Assistant on the Economic Policy team. The position is open to those with expertise or interest in economic policy. The Research Assistant will assist policy experts in developing policy analysis and recommendations across a wide range of subjects relating to the U.S. economy, including macroeconomics, inequality, employment and wages, labor unions, financial markets, budget and taxes, consumer protection, and international trade.
The position requires strong research, writing, and analytic abilities. It also requires an ability to effectively work with others on the Economic Policy team and throughout the organization in order to provide assistance with the production of original research papers and the analysis of current and proposed policy. The ideal candidate will have the ability to work with large-scale economic databases to construct and manage data files using one or more of the commonly used statistical software packages, such as SAS, Stata, R, and Python.
· Provide research support on key policy areas by analyzing data sets; reading and summarizing existing research; and reviewing state and federal legislation, among other things.
· Draft policy memos, talking points, charts, issue briefs, reports, op-eds, blog posts, and other briefing materials.
· Review relevant laws, regulations, and other policy documents.
· Prepare economic data sets and research for analysis.
· Prepare outlines and first drafts of columns, policy briefs, and reports.
· Coordinate projects and provide scheduling, administrative, research, and writing support as needed.
· Provide operational support to the team by assisting in the coordination and planning of public and private meetings and events; processing and filing forms; and providing other administrative support, including grant reports, to assist with the management of the team.
· Begin to develop expertise in assigned areas of responsibility.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
· Bachelor’s degree in economics, political science, public policy, or a related field.
· One to three years of experience in a related field.
· Experience with data or statistical analysis is a plus.
· Strong analytical and research skills are essential.
· Proven ability to perform quantitative analysis.
· Ability to accurately analyze quantitative and qualitative data is essential.
· Good writing skills.
· Knowledge of politics and policy—especially economic policy.
· Ability to understand economic issues and to communicate them effectively.
· Ability to work well within a team in a fast-paced environment.
· Comfort working under pressure and meeting tight deadlines.
· Ability to multitask.
· Fluency in Microsoft Excel.
· Training or experience in one or more commonly used statistical software package, such as SAS, Stata, R, and Python.
· Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Minimum Education Required