1010 Ruff Drive
Building Skills Partnership (BSP) is a non-profit organization that offers various programs to building service workers (custodians/janitors) in collaboration with the SEIU-USWW and their employers. BSP is currently looking for an instructor to teach a Civic Leadership class for low-wage property service workers who want to be more civically engaged in San Jose.
This fall BSP is piloting a weekly class for 10-15 community leaders that will provide a general overview of civic leadership as a way to increase civic engagement in their lives and their community. Class curriculum will cover historical context for structural racism and cultural identity, the role of voting, an overview of local and federal government systems as well as highlighting local resources. We are looking for a passionate instructor who believes in BSP’s mission of improving the quality of life of janitors, their families, and their communities to join us this fall!
- The Civic Leadership class will launch in Fall 2018 (mid-September) and will run through mid November 2018. There is the possibility of holding a second session of the course in the Spring.
- The preferred 2-hour class schedule would be Saturday mornings once a week
- BSP offers a compensation of $45/hour for instruction plus half hour of preparation per class delivered at a rate of $24/hour
- Leading civic leadership class lessons/activities
- Collaborating on coordination for guest speakers, partner organizations, etc.
- Availability during Saturday mornings
- A few hours during the week for check-ins, follow-up, outreach, etc. (with prior arrangement, this work can be done remotely)
SKILLS of PREFERRED CANDIDATES:
- Bilingual skills in Spanish and English
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Experience tutoring or teaching (preferably adult students). Teaching experience (preferably in adult education) is necessary but a teaching credential is not required.
- Demonstrated commitment to and experience with social justice and/or immigrant rights
- Strong sense of accountability and responsibility
- Entrepreneurial spirit and desire to implement new ideas/strategies
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual skills in Spanish and English are required.
Minimum Education Required