Reports to: Chief of Staff
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position is a management or supervisory position
Manages: Deputy Digital Director & Digital Team
FLSA Status: Salaried exempt
Bargaining Unit Status: Not in the bargaining unit
Location: Fully remote, even post-pandemic
United for Respect is a national organization building the voice of people working for the country’s largest corporations. Through scaled leadership development and base-building, UFR’s growing network is challenging major corporations and policymakers to provide family‐sustaining jobs for all working people. We leverage technology — social media, relational tools, and our digital platform, WorkIt — and bring the workforce into a shared community of support and advocacy.
Reporting to the Chief of Staff, the Director of Digital leads the development and management of UFR’s digital strategy and work that focuses on connecting UFR’s work with our members, partner organizations, supporters and allies.
As a member of the Senior Management Team, this position will also play an important role in creating a holistic vision for UFR’s work and how the Digital team’s helps build our vision to build power and win tangible victories that improve the lives of low-wage workers at corporations like Walmart, Amazon, and Wall Street owned retailers.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Working with the Deputy Digital Director and Digital Team to launch innovative campaigns to win bold new corporate and public policy solutions for low wage retail workers
- Proactively, and in collaboration with members of the team, identify and support professional development opportunities that encourage and support growth pathways
- Develop the team’s goals and metrics for performance and success of the work
- Develop and implement robust project management plans to move the whole team forward on common goals and objectives
- Develop and maintain annual digital budget and reports, and manage team’s expenses
- Coordinate team to deliver high-impact campaign plans and reports on all digital metrics
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with digital staff at partner organizations and among other stakeholders to to identify opportunities of collaboration and to strengthen our work through knowledge sharing
Strategic Planning & Coordination
- Coordinate with other Directors in the Senior Management Team to ensure organizational and programmatic objectives and goals are aligned and met
- Examine, implement, and coordinate systems related to digital work across departments and provide training where necessary
- Oversee work on Digital Team and collaborate with other Comprehensive Campaign team members
- Coordinate across departments to set digital strategy and develop digital plans for new and ongoing campaigns
- Oversee organizational digital ad program and strategy to help expand our reach and grow our base
- Oversee the organization’s email strategy and work with the team to manage the email calendar, including writing and reviewing copy
- Oversee social media strategy, goals, and plans, including writing and reviewing content, digital resources and toolkits
- Oversee video content and promotion
- Serve as an internal consultant on digital strategy for UFR’s coalition work
- Hire and manage all digital consultants, vendors and freelancers including negotiating contracts
- Oversee digital fundraising and online small donor strategy in collaboration with the Development Team, including developing plans and reports. Maintain donor relationships and Identify potential new streams of grants, contribute and develop grant proposals
What You Will Bring
- Highly motivated individual with a passion for transforming the lives of working people in retail and in low-wage jobs.
- Minimum experience of 9-10 years of progressive digital organizing or digital communications experience, preferably labor and nonprofit sector.
- Strong commitment to metrics and ability to incorporate data into strategic decision-making
- Deep experience working with low-wage worker groups within coalition spaces
- Extensive previous experience in organizing; online organizing a plus
- Proven track record of management experience with staff teams, vendors or consultants and funding relationships
- Experience in labor organizations or labor work is highly preferred
- Strategic - long-term strategy, not just reactionary
- Excellent project management skills & experience, juggling multiple and sometimes competing priorities
- Work with internal staff and internal initiatives
- Strong interpersonal and organizational communication skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with an attention to detail
- Strong copy-editing skills in order to provide accurate and effective oversight of the team’s work
- Ability to, and comfort with, manage up
- Highly proficient in advertising in platforms like Facebook, Google Ads, Reddit, TikTok and CRMs (Every Action and Action Network a plus)
We’re Excited About You Because You
- Thrive in collaborative working environments and actively seek ways to make your work stronger by sharing your expertise and strengths and leveraging those of others
- Have demonstrated experience contributing to an inclusive working and professional development environment
- Are calm in a crisis, agile, and have great instincts about how to pivot quickly when needed
- Proven track record for being a self-starter.
- Embrace technology as an enabler to help you get your job done and to collaborate in a culture that promotes passion in technology.
Salary Range: $95,000-120,000k dependent on experience and location
United for Respect is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQIA+ community. United for Respect provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.