Details: Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has.
Creative Team for The Public Interest Network
The Public Interest Network is a family of more than a dozen organizations that employ a full arsenal of strategies for social change, including organizing, advocacy, research and policy analysis, litigation and socially responsible investing. Together, we work on a wide array of issues, from air and water pollution to money in politics to the safety of our food systems to global warming.
Our member organizations include: the U.S. Public Interest Research Group (PIRG), Environment America, Environmental Action, Bold Alliance, Toxics Action Center, Green Century Capital Management, Green Corps, National Environmental Law Center, Frontier Group, Community Voters Project, Snowriders International, Accelerate Change, and Impact.
For more than 40 years, the members of the network have shared a commitment to a model for success—one that embraces a strong culture of accountability, and organizing to win measurable results. These results include hundreds of laws, policies and other changes that have protected consumers, preserved the environment, and otherwise improved the quality of our lives. Over the years, our network has also recruited and trained thousands of people, many of whom have moved up to become leaders of our own network or elsewhere in the social change community.
About the Job
As The Public Interest Network embarks on major new efforts to make the case for a new politics in America, and expand both our digital reach and grassroots membership in the process, the network's Creative Team is playing an important role in defining our organizations’ brands, messaging and packaging our campaigns, and delivering timely, targeted communications online and in print.
We're hiring a Deputy Editor to complete job duties including, but not limited to:
● Edit or create content for the Web, email actions and donation alerts, social media, campaign materials, recruitment materials, direct mail appeals, canvass materials, annual reports and newsletters.
● Track our materials’ impact, and use this information to guide decisions on future materials in order to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars with our emails and reach millions of people via social media.
● Give feedback and direction to our creative staff on the content they produce.
● Help foster a work environment that encourages our staff to be creative, focused on results and impact, willing and able to work in teams, and constantly perfecting our craft.
● Take part in The Public Interest Network's training and organization-building programs and campaigns.
We are looking for skilled candidates with a demonstrated commitment to social change and an appreciation of the importance of activism. Candidates must have 3-5 years of relevant professional experience which may include writing, editing, journalism or other communications work, or nonprofit advocacy or campaign work. We're also looking for candidates who are more motivated by our collective success than by individual achievement.
Candidates must also:
● Have a bachelor's degree;
● Love to write – clearly, concisely and persuasively;
● Be goal-driven and have a track record of getting things done on-time and well;
● Be able to work creatively and independently but also enjoy working collaboratively with partners and in teams;
● Be able to give clear direction and feedback to others, and hold each other accountable to shared goals;
● Be flexible, embrace new challenges, have a can-do attitude, and a strong work ethic;
● Be able to "take the ball and run with it" by being able to use sound judgment in solving problems on the way to reaching your goals.
The Deputy Editor position requires a two-year commitment.
Compensation and Benefits
Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. The Public Interest Network offers a competitive benefits package.
May 18, 2018
Complete the online application at http://publicinterestnetwork.org/application.html.
We'll consider your application, and if we think you're a good fit, we will be in touch.
Things to Know When You Apply
The Public Interest Network is a group of organizations that share a vision of a better future, a set of core values. Visit http://www.publicinterestnetwork.org/core-values.html to learn what you should know about the network before you apply.
Contact Marites Velasquez at 312-544-4436 ext. 209 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more at www.TPINCreative.org.
The Community Voters Project is hiring Canvass Directors to help increase voter registration and ensure everyone’s voice is heard in our democracy this election. Canvass Directors will recruit and oversee a team of committed canvasser activists and help increase participation of underrepresented communities in the 2018 elections. Learn more here: https://communityvotersproject.org/jobs.
The Public Interest Network is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy or veteran status.
The Public Interest Network offers a competitive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required