Now in its second century, Audubon is dedicated to protecting birds and other wildlife and the habitat that supports them. Audubon’s mission is engaging people in bird conservation on a hemispheric scale through science, policy, education and on-the-ground conservation action. By mobilizing and aligning its network of Chapters, Centers, State and Important Bird Area programs in the four major migratory flyways in the Americas, the organization will bring the full power of Audubon to bear on protecting common and threatened bird species and the critical habitat they need to survive. And as part of BirdLife International, Audubon will join people in over 100 in-country organizations all working to protect a network of Important Bird Areas around the world, leveraging the impact of actions they take at a local level. What defines Audubon’s unique value is a powerful grassroots network of nearly 500 local chapters, 23 state offices, 41 Audubon Centers, Important Bird Area Programs in 50 states, and 700 staff across the country. Audubon is a federal contractor and an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
Audubon California is hiring an experienced digital engagement expert and conservation advocate to manage our social media accounts and digital platforms to engage our members, build our reach, and strengthen our voice for birds. This person will work creatively to leverage news events, local opportunities, and trends to support conservation and advocacy action online and translate online to offline engagement. They will work with local networks, partners, and allies to increase Audubon’s online presence and voice as a leader and ally to protect birds and the places we all need to thrive.
The successful candidate will have a command of best practices and trends in digital engagement, advocacy, social media, online communications, and a proven track record (via analytics) of growing a nonprofit or company's presence with a preference for action and advocacy. The ideal candidate can connect the dots between conservation issues, birds and habitat education, climate and energy policy, technology and innovation, and local community benefits. The Digital Campaigns Manager will work closely with the Communications Director, State Policy Director, and Executive Director to strategize on effective external communications across all media channels.
A cover letter is required to be considered for this position.
- Experience managing and building an email activist list using EveryAction, Convio, or similar engagement tool.
- Successful experience managing online fundraising campaigns, using a/b testing, segmentation, and other methods to identify practices that result in higher returns.
- Experience converting social media and email activists into activists who are willing to take more overt actions in support of our mission.
• Strategize, plan, and execute social media campaigns and calls-to-action with an eye to increase actions (online and on-the-ground) and financial support through digital channels.
Explore new ways to engage and identify new social networks to reach target audiences
• Collaborate with our National Marketing team and others within the Audubon network on relevant sharing of information
• Build and manage social media profiles and presence, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and additional channels that may be deemed relevant.
• Write smart and emotionally compelling posts / content for various media (including writing on behalf of program leads and leadership team members)
• Develop and execute high-impact social media content from ideation through planning, testing, and implementation
• Stay abreast of the latest tools and offerings from social media channels as well as algorithm changes.
Monitoring/Analysis & Research:
• Track, measure, and analyze all initiatives to report on social media ROI and measure impact of content
• Report on effectiveness of campaigns
• Monitor trends in social media; monitor activities and best practices of peer organizations
• Maintain editorial calendars
• Perform research to find articles, stories, resources, or other content that is relevant to Audubon California’s engagement and advocacy work
• React quickly to capitalize news windows of opportunities and drive content through internal channels to get it out in a timely matter
• Explore new ways to engage and identify new social networks to reach our target audience
• Respond to community member's comments with flair and tact
Web Development, Blog, and newsletter:
• Maintain and update Audubon California webpages and blog
• Co-create and write content, and post content. Be a writing partner to program staff and coach them on writing for the web
• Project manage 3-4x annual newsletter (print and digital) including content and execution.
• Create shareable content, images, and graphics appropriate for specific networks to spread brand and content
• Help create short videos
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor's degree preferred, in related field (e.g. communications, digital media, marketing)
- 5-7 years of experience in creating social media content with a proven track record in building social media followers, building email lists with strong call-to-action and fundraising results
- Minimum of 3 years experience managing online fundraising campaigns
- Strong writing skills with attention to detail/grammar
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud products, including Illustrator and InDesign
- Savvy sensibilities in monitoring the news cycle in order to capitalize on timely opportunities for social media
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple simultaneous requests to disseminate content
- Computer/software skills including light HTML knowledge and familiarity with WordPress
- Strong grasp of analytical tools including Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, Sprout Social
Skills and Abilities:
- A self-starter hungry for information, adept and efficient at scouring resources on the web, and from a team of policy and content experts, and crafting timely content
- Experience working in a geographically dispersed network and collaborating with others for results in a matrixed organization.
- Skilled in taking online communication to support a call to action
- A social expert who knows each platform and who has hands-on experience posting and engaging across all platform, including growing online fundraising success.
- Able to stimulate conversation on social media and connect easily with others
- A creative and quick-thinker who is ready to seize moments of opportunity and able to quickly assess whether a news item will resonate with our organization's followers
- Someone who thrives in a team environment and who loves to work collaboratively
- Passionate about protecting birds and the environment
We offer an array of competitive benefits to meet the diverse needs of staff. Our comprehensive benefit program includes:
· Cigna medical coverage, including Health Savings Account (HSA) options, teledoc coverage
· Cigna dental coverage
· VSP vision coverage
· Audubon Wellness Program
· Dependent and Health Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
· Life and AD&D insurance
· Income protection and Long- term Disability coverage
· 403(b) retirement savings plan
· Business and foreign travel coverage
· Identity theft protection
· Commuter benefits
· Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
· Generous paid time off and observed holidays
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please click on the URL below.