Details: This position is full-time (40 hours per week) and offers an annual salary between $35 – 42K, based upon experience.
2300 Washington Street
The Communications & Development Associate position is critical to the mission of the organization by assisting the Director of Development with all aspects of WriteBoston communications, fundraising, events, and administration. If you love finding hooks and stories, and are seduced by the prospect of trying on multiple hats in a small and mighty organization, this just might be a fit for you. WriteBoston seeks a strong communicator and organized problem-solver to join a creative, close-knit team, working closely with staff across program areas to elevate our fundraising and communications efforts.
About WriteBoston: WriteBoston is an engaged, hardworking, social-justice-loving, youth and education focused crew of former teachers, coaches, administrators, journalists, policy wonks, number crunchers, readers and writers. WriteBoston exists to center and amplify the voices of youth in the greater Boston area. We do this in three ways: first, through our newspaper Teens in Print which is written by and for Boston teens and published quarterly, including an intensive summer journalism program; secondly, through our Writing Centers which are housed within Boston high schools and offer high quality tutoring and mentoring around academic writing, and, finally, through our professional development and coaching services helping schools, districts, and education organizations better serve youth in their development as readers, writers, and critical thinkers. To learn more about our work, please visit writeboston.org.
- Together with the Development and Communications Director, cultivate consistent, powerful messaging and branding across online and print media channels.
- Provide operational and organizational support to Co-Director around managing contracts and record keeping, including invoicing for school and community partners.
- Create and organize content for e-newsletters, email blasts, annual report, site visits, press releases, and other marketing.
- Generate and support creative artwork / graphics for online and print flyers, invitations, online communications, and social media.
- Manage social media presence (Facebook, Twitter), including creating written and visual content.
- Update www.WriteBoston.org Wordpress website on a timely basis.
- Work with the Development and Communications Director to research, write, and submit grant proposals, and edit past grant proposals for annual submission.
- Maintain donor relations and information, including writing thank-you letters and requests, updating donor information and coordinating mailings.
- Track donor and grants data.
- Analyze evaluation data to report to stakeholders.
- Assist in planning, coordination, and logistics of fundraising and programmatic events.
- Provide administrative assistance, including supply ordering, coordinating staff and Board meeting needs, submitting catering requests, maintaining office records, and other duties, as assigned.
- Associates degree or BA preferred.
- Preference for 1-2 years of experience in a relevant professional setting.
- Strong written, interpersonal, and visual design communication skills.
- Excellent organization skills and strong attention to detail.
- Excellent ability to multi-task multiple projects.
- Proficient computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, Gmail / Google Drive, and databases.
- Experience with social media marketing and scheduling tools, such as Tweetdeck and Hootsuite.
- Experience with Constant Contact, Canva, Wordpress, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, SurveyMonkey, and basic HTML preferred.
- A positive, proactive, and creative outlook.
- Passion for supporting young people and education, and interest in working for a small organization doing big things.
Seeking Diverse Candidates: Like many education non-profits, ours skews white and female. We seek to build a staff that better reflects the students and communities we serve.
Generous benefits include 4 weeks of paid vacation plus 11 holidays; quality health and dental insurance; personal time, sick leave, and a Dependent Care Assistance Plan, and 401K.
Level of Language Proficiency
Professional english required.
Minimum Education Required