Details: This position will begin as a full-time position with a competitive salary commensurate with experience and employment benefits that include medical, vision, and dental care, as well as three weeks of paid time off per year plus holiday closures.
Root & Rebound Seeks Legal Programs Assistant
About Root & Rebound
Root & Rebound provides expertise in all areas of reentry law to individuals with past justice involvement, families with incarcerated loved ones, and community-based organizations and agencies, so that we become a society that supports opportunities for all.
As a reentry legal resource hub now growing to three locations in California and expanding initiatives nationally, we connect a wide range of stakeholders in the existing reentry infrastructure-- people directly impacted by incarceration, their families, community-based groups, social service providers, government agencies, employers interested in fair chance hiring, schools and universities-- to help break down the legal and practical barriers people in reentry face. At the core of our work is a culture of creative disruption where we challenge ourselves to improve, iterate upon resources, and grow services--to create pathways to success in reentry and shift policies and practices that create barriers for those impacted by mass incarceration.
Visit www.rootandrebound.org to learn more.
Location: Based in Oakland, CA, with some travel required.
Legal Programs Assistant/ Paralegal
Root & Rebound seeks a candidate who is passionate about working as an ambassador of and leader within an innovative and quickly growing organization. In partnership and alongside the Programs Team, the Legal Programs Assistant/Paralegal will be responsible for components of the administration and coordination of Root & Rebound’s legal programs, focusing on public education and direct services via the reentry legal hotline and clinics.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Data entry on all legal matters. Maintain and update our hotline and prison mail database to ensure consistent and accurate tracking of client data. This includes scanning all materials, organizing legal files, creating matters and tasks in our client database, reviewing documents, etc. Attention to detail and passion to play a supportive administrative role a must.
- Assist with preparation, logistics, and follow up for all trainings and clinics, including preparation of materials, surveys, outreach and communications. Liaise in a prompt and professional manner with training site hosts and correctional staff for our prison-based education programs.
- Process new prison legal mail and prepare reply letters.
- Conduct new legal research for Root & Rebound's hotline and prison mail clients.
- Research social services referrals and help to maintain internal database.
- Prepare resource and referral templates for frequently-requested reentry topics.
- Help to proactively recruit volunteers, interns, law clerks, and volunteer attorneys to carry out Root & Rebound’s programs and services.
- Provide assistance with all other administrative and support duties as needed
- Excitement about playing an integral support role in the office and with all legal matters.
- A.A., B.A., B.S., or comparable experience preferred. Paralegal certification is a plus.
- Previous office or administrative experience preferred.
- Desire to work on reentry and criminal justice issues in a dynamic and diverse team environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to social, racial, and criminal justice.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software; Proficiency with Google products (Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Drive).
- Responsible and reliable.
- Positive, professional, and humble attitude.
- Strong work ethic.
- Excellent time-management.
- Flexible work style; ability to move from one project to another in a dynamic work environment; ability to re-prioritize and re-shuffle work, given needs and demands of the organization.
- Ability to incorporate clear direction and supervision.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Creative, enthusiastic, and willing to learn and try new things.
- Willingness to travel.
- Driver’s license preferred.
Root & Rebound is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from all qualified individuals including formerly incarcerated and/or system-involved individuals, people of color, persons with disabilities, ethnic and religious minorities, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and gender variant individuals. People with past involvement in the justice system are seen as an asset to our organization and are strongly encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please send a resume, cover letter, short writing sample, and at least three references with contact information in an email with the subject line, “Legal Assistant” to Katherine Katcher (Executive Director) at the email provided. Resumes without a cover letter, writing sample, and references will not be reviewed. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.