The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
The primary responsibility of the Senior Grant Writer is to develop effective fundraising materials—including concept notes and proposals, project budgets, and narrative and financial reports—for a range of current and prospective foundation donors, wealth advisors, fund managers and others.
This position could be based in any of our New York City, San Francisco, or Chicago offices.
- Write fundraising materials, including concept notes and proposals, project budgets and financial reports, program updates and narrative reports– writing in a variety of styles ranging from the highly technical submissions typical for major institutional foundations, to the more personal style appropriate for some family foundations.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the interests and expectations of the organization’s major foundation funders.
- Assimilate information about NRDC’s issues and programmatic work from a variety of sources and describe our activities in clear and compelling language.
- Research current and prospective foundation partners, and analyze grant-making strategies and histories to prepare or update partner profile documents and briefing materials.
- Serve as point person on the Foundation Relations team for a set of small to medium-size donors and the program staff whose work is supported by those donors’ grants.
- Other research, writing and reporting duties as assigned.
- BA or BS degree
- 2-3 years’ experience writing for a high-volume non-profit Development department
- Strong commitment to environmental advocacy
- Superior writing skills and demonstrated experience developing proposals for large institutional foundations
- Strong analytical and accounting skills; proficiency and affinity for the preparation of complex budgets and expenditure reports
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills
- Ability to make judgment calls in a variety of situations
- Collegial team player able to interact effectively with diverse internal and external constituencies
- Effective in a fast-paced environment and eager to contribute to the collaborative dynamic of the department
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Able to work independently, nimbly manage multiple deadlines
- Windows and Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and database software proficiency
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing:
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org
Minimum Education Required