10 South Street
Governors Island is a 172-acre island in the heart of New York Harbor nestled between Lower Manhattan and the Brooklyn waterfront. Eight minutes from the energy and excitement of the City, the Island is a popular seasonal destination. A resilient new park is complemented by dozens of unique historic buildings, environmental educational facilities, a rich arts and culture program and a 22-acre National Monument managed by the National Park Service. Unlike anywhere else in New York, Governors Island offers peaceful settings with sweeping views of the Harbor, Lower Manhattan skyline and Statue of Liberty. Looking ahead, the Island will be activated year-round as a sustainable campus for learning and entrepreneurship, with plans for expanded commercial and non-profit uses in its future.
In 2018, Governors Island will be open to the public every day from May 1-October 31. Island operations continue year-round, with a public high school, artist residency program and new commercial tenancies.
The Overnight Operations Supervisor will be a seasonal (May 1-October 31) full-time employee of The Trust for Governors Island (Trust). The Overnight Supervisor works on the Island overnight 3 nights per week from 6pm-7am. Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Supervisor will be the main point-of-contact to coordinate late night and overnight activities. This is a hands-on role that requires daily work outdoors and in all weather conditions.
- Inspect all facilities and property areas daily, identify and troubleshoot problems, liaise with appropriate personnel to achieve resolution.
- Act as main point of contact for public access tenants and partners including: campsite, venue rentals and recreational activities.
- Manage overnight emergency response with FDNY and Island security contractor.
- Perform Island rounds to ensure security of Island.
- Manage two working dogs on a set schedule to deter Island geese population.
- Additional duties and projects as assigned.
- Experience in public space operations, event production or a similar field.
- Sound organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule of evenings, overnight, long shifts and holiday shifts.
- Ability to work with animals calmly and effectively.
- OSHA-certified or the ability to be certified.
- Ability to perform heavy, physical labor on a daily basis in all weather conditions (year-round).
- Ability to walk, reach, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and regularly lift and/or move 50 lbs with proper tools.
- A team-player mentality with a willingness to collaborate on any and all tasks required for maintaining the highest standard of Island operations.
- Driver’s license.
ABOUT THE TRUST FOR GOVERNORS ISLAND
The Trust for Governors Island (“The Trust”) is a nonprofit corporation created by the City of New York. It is responsible for the redevelopment and operation of 150 acres of Governors Island. The Trust's mission is to transform Governors Island into a vibrant resource for New York City, making this island at the center of New York Harbor a destination with extraordinary public open space, as well as educational, not-for-profit and commercial facilities.
For more information visit www.govisland.org.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume as a single PDF document to email@example.com with “Operations Supervisor – Overnight” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
The Trust for Governors Island does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, parental status, military service or other non-merit factor.