120 Bank Street
Herbert Berghof Studio
Position Title: DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
Reports To: Executive and Artistic Director of HB Studio
Help to grow the organization’s individual giving through the successful management of fundraising appeals, special events, cultivation efforts, and community outreach. Supervise and work closely with the Audience and Development Coordinator on donor tracking and communications on behalf of HB Studio including gift processing, donor acknowledgements, database administration, and gift reporting. Through these development activities support the mission and vision of this theater collective founded in 1945 by actor/director Herbert Berghof and renowned actress and master acting teacher Uta Hagen, where high quality training and practice are offered at affordable costs to a diverse community of over three thousand students each year.
· Work collaboratively with the Studio’s Executive and Artistic Director and other members of the HB Studio Board and staff to execute an annual fundraising plan.
· Plan and execute two annual fund campaigns, one in the spring and one at year-end.
· Take a leadership role in the organization’s annual fall benefit, helping with honoree and special guest selections and alumni engagement. Incumbent is responsible for overseeing corporate sponsorship, ticket and journal ad sales, in-kind donations, and the run of show.
· Support the ongoing development of a large sustained base of individual donors through alumni networks and contacts in the field. Foster relationships with local businesses and vendors for financial and in-kind support.
· Supervise the design of all fundraising correspondence including the fall benefit save the date; invitation; and program, and the annual appeal stationery.
· Work with the Audience and Development Assistant on creating email blasts and social media content to promote fundraising initiatives and the work of HB Studio and its artists.
· Meticulously assemble mailing lists for all fundraising and cultivation efforts, culling from the donor database, student records, alumni contacts, and vendor relationships.
· Provide accurate donor lists and compelling fundraising copy for annual reporting, website, and program materials.
· Ensure the integrity of the donor database, Little Green Light, by performing regular maintenance and updates, and carefully supervising work-study assistants on data entry.
· Build prospect lists by adding institutional and audience contacts into Little Green Light and Mail Chimp.
· Research and review donors and prospects for targeted fundraising asks.
· Take a leadership role in communicating with Executive Director about donor activity, major gifts, and key prospects. Responsible for suggesting follow-up correspondence to lapsed donors and personalized outreach to new or renewed donors at a certain level of giving.
· Ensure accurate and timely processing of all gifts, including stocks, and deferred gifts.
· Ensure gift acknowledgements are compliant with IRS regulations, including but not limited to gifts-in-kind, auction donations, and pledged gifts.
· Track and follow up on pledges.
· Coordinate with the Finance Department for timely deposits, data entry, acknowledgement, and reporting.
· Support and assist the Finance Department with timely and accurate income reporting and reconciliation, and annual audit support.
· Supervise the Audience and Development Assistant, delegating tasks and assignments as needed.
· Select multiple work-study assistants each term to work in the development office, and oversee their progress on general office tasks and special projects.
· Recruit and engage students and volunteers to help with fundraising and special events.
· Attend Board meetings and prepare giving reports and summaries to be included in Board materials. Provide administrative support for the Board’s Fundraising and Marketing Committee and assistance in creating each meeting’s agenda.
· Work collaboratively with Executive and Artistic Director and Development consultant, coordinate and assist with the preparation of grant proposals and reports.
· Assist Executive and Artistic Director and Controller with preparation of program budgets and evaluations.
· Serve on the Senior Staff and Fundraising/Marketing Committees to ensure a coherent approach to fundraising, publicity, and marketing for HB Studio.
· Liaise with Board President and Fundraising/Marketing Chair.
· All other duties as assigned.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements:
· BA required. 1-2 years prior development experience or training, or nonprofit administrative experience, with preference in NYC performing arts.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as outstanding interpersonal skills to effectively communicate at all levels in the performing arts community.
· Highly organized, creative self-starter, detail-oriented, accurate, meticulous, with excellent follow through. Excellent time management skills, able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and responsibilities, meet deadlines, assimilate and interpret information.
· Excellent judgment on matters of etiquette and protocol.
· Superior computer skills, including database experience and fundraising software systems, Microsoft office and Mac OS X.
Scope of Responsibility & Positions Supervised:
· Reports to Executive and Artistic Director of HB Studio. Works with Board Fundraising and Marketing Committee to execute development strategy. Supervises Audience and Development Assistant, volunteers and work-study assistants. Must work well with Audience and Development Assistant, Finance Department and Board of Directors.
Special Working Conditions:
Occasional weekend and evening work will be necessary for special events and meetings.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com, using the subject line “Development Manager.”