Responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with diverse partners and policymakers in Sacramento to promote UWCA’s financial stability, economic justice and health-wealth policy goals. Work closely with policy and communication team members on strategies to reach desired outcomes. Engage in policy research, position development, legislative and budget tracking. Develop key messages and communications (social media, Op-Eds, press statements, etc.) and support disseminating them. Provide communications and advocacy support to UWCA team, regional advocacy coordinators and local California United Ways.
Major Responsibilities and Duties
1. Research and advise the UWCA team on economic justice and health-wealth policy and advocacy strategy, including developing and recommending policy positions for financial stability policy issues, as part of our comprehensive advocacy strategy.
2. Track and analyze state and federal legislation, regulatory and policy issues, and drafting policy briefs, position statements, legislative testimony, talking points, etc.
3. Gather and analyze information and data related to our constituents that may affect United Way’s policy positions and principles. Constituents include local United Ways and the communities they serve, business leaders, employers, non-profit agencies and advocacy partners, labor representatives, and public agencies.
4. Represent UWCA as a co-lead organization in the CalEITC Advocacy Coalition and other relevant statewide coalitions and workgroups
5. Build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders and partners that are instrumental to UWCA’s work to effectively communicate United Way’s goals and policy recommendations. This should be focused on key state and federal policy makers, committee and member staff, Department of Finance, Franchise Tax Board, key advocacy and policy organizations, media, and other potential partners.
6. Support UWCA communications efforts by providing relevant content for the policy and advocacy sections of UWCA’s website, social media, newsletters and press materials. Work with the UWCA policy team and local United Ways to cultivate local story collection and develop local, regional, and state-level media relationships to further our economic justice and stability work.
7. Work with the UWCA policy team and Public Policy Committee to develop UWCA’s bi-annual policy goals.
8. Help plan, develop and execute a successful Capitol Day with UWCA team annually.
1. Work collaboratively in developing grant applications.
2. Assist regional advocacy coordinators and local United Ways in building the public policy and advocacy capacity of their United Ways.
3. Support in achieving specified grant deliverables.
4. Assisting in the preparation of specified grant reports on policy and advocacy efforts in a timely manner.
1. BA/BS degree required.
2. Three-plus years of work experience in advocacy, public policy analysis, government relations, or executing projects in government or nonprofit environments. A focus on economic justice and financial stability is preferred.
3. Subject to public health shelter-in-place requirements, periodic travel required throughout state, including visits to local United Ways and partner sites, as well as meetings around the state with collaborative partners. Reimbursement for travel costs provided.
4. Strong interpersonal communication skills and emotional intelligence, and ability to work collaboratively with many stakeholders.
5. Excellent oral and written communication skills, including drafting policy/issue briefs, reports and public speaking. Bilingual in Spanish or other language/s is a plus.
6. Excellent judgment and problem-solving ability.
7. Ability to think and work independently, and do so diligently in a virtual office environment, with significant use of phone, email, Slack, Salesforce and other tools, to accomplish workload.
8. Proficiency with computer applications, such as word processing, spreadsheet and presentation programs and comfortable working with internet applications, including social media.
9. Strong project management skills and ability to multi-task under deadlines and work under pressure. Resilient. Ability to efficiently manage time and workload.
10. Strong ethical backbone, willingness to make extra effort to do the right thing.
United Ways of California improves health, education and financial results for low-income children and families by enhancing and coordinating the community impact and advocacy work of California United Ways.
California’s United Ways pursue increased opportunities for low and moderate income people through focusing on three priority areas – Health, Education and Financial Stability. These are the building blocks to a successful life; people must be healthy in order to learn, people at all ages must learn in order to prepare to sustain themselves and their families, and people must have pathways for building financial sustainability for their families. Together, California’s United Ways marshal over $200 million and tens of thousands of volunteer hours a year in charitable support for community initiatives that address these vital areas.
UWCA’s Purposes and Activities:
• Engage the public for the common good: Advance the health, education and financial sustainability goals of California United Ways through public education and policy advocacy
• Leverage program impact: Help California United Ways increase their community impact by sharing innovations and lessons learned, improving practices and building organizational capacity
• Resource development: Help bring resources and funding to United Ways through regional and statewide collaboratives, leveraging the work of the many to achieve the goals of all, and also provide a central point of contact for donors wishing to support United Ways at a regional and state level
Responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with diverse partners and policymakers in Sacramento to promote UWCA’s financial stability, economic justice and health-wealth policy goals. Work closely with policy…
A competitive salary commensurate with experience and education will be offered to the successful candidate. Benefits include health and dental insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, vacation and sick leave.
A competitive salary commensurate with experience and education will be offered to the successful candidate. Benefits include health and dental insurance, 401(k) retirement…
Bilingual in Spanish or other language/s is a plus.
Bilingual in Spanish or other language/s is a plus.