Part Time Contract
Details: Position is a contract for 3 months with the FTE possibility (great benefits) Salary range is $3,100 - $3,600 per month depending on hours worked, experience, qualifications.
District of Columbia
Orb. One World. One Story.
- Orb Media is a nonprofit producing journalism that illuminates our interdependence and unites us as a global community around our human story. Global stories on global issues for a global audience.
As a human community, we are knit together in need, experience, desire and aspiration. We also each have social, professional and consumer tendrils that wrap around the globe, embodying the interdependent nature of our human society. Yet journalism remains parochial, highly national in how it sees, reports and presents the world to its audience. It’s no wonder the public has a hard time feeling that these global issues are relevant to them.
Orb paints a more current and accurate picture of our interdependent world for a global audience. Our reporting and projects simultaneously reveal our role and responsibility in global issues, engage us to define the shape of our future and unite us as a global community around our human story.
- Categorized by eight core topics — food, water, energy, health, education, environment, trade, and governance — as well as the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.
- Relies on original data analysis so our journalists can see the global picture and how things are changing over time.
- Engages the public in social journalism to expose us to and incorporate diverse perspectives.
- Features professional on-the-ground reporting from multiple countries.
- Delivered through trans-media projects in multiple formats — text, multimedia, audio, TV broadcast, and data — and in the world’s most widely spoken languages, ready for use by legacy or digital publishers and published on www.orbmedia.org.
Evaluated by Media Tenor, providing the evidence of Orb’s impact through global media content analysis, thus revealing the connection between media coverage and public action.
Orb was founded and is led by Molly Bingham, an award-winning journalist and documentary filmmaker who has covered news and conflicts around the globe. Her work has been featured in leading media outlets and she has appeared on top network and cable news programs. Named as one of “20 Women to Watch” in media by the Columbia Journalism Review, Ms. Bingham is an industry leader redefining journalism in the digital age.
Candidate will be responsible for daily bookkeeping and assist our Finance & Operations Director in monthly and quarterly reporting, as well as operational and HR functions.
The person hired in this position must be available to work a minimum of 30 hours/week (there is an opportunity for an increase to 40 hours/week), and must be available to start work between 9 am and 9:30 am. The work schedule will be determined pre-hiring.
Responsibilities for this position are to:
- Process Accounts Payables and Accounts Receivable transactions
- Allocate semi-monthly payroll and benefits
- Reconcile expense reports semi-monthly to credit card statements
- Responsible for month end closing procedures
- Provide year-end closing and Audit support.
- Document (digital & hard copy) filing and organization
- Assist with additional accounting and operations functions; e.g. budget updates and other financial reports
- Support in personnel onboarding and offboarding procedures.
- Other accounting and operations support
A Little Bit About You
Here are the sorts of skills and interests we’re looking for in candidates:
At least 4- 5 years of experience in an accounting role at a US non-profit (Preferably in DC)
Specific experience in
- A/P and A/R
- Allocating payroll and benefits expenses (Particular to nonprofits)
- Monthly closing journal entries and bank reconciliations
- Supported in at least 1 year-end audit.
- Proficient in QuickBooks Online
- MS office proficiency is a requirement.
- Ability to get things done without the need for constant follow-up or micromanagement.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Application deadline: Wednesday, March 7th, 2018 @ 23:59 US Eastern Time
Send applications to: Careers@Orbmedia.org
To be considered application must include:
Cover Letter answering: What have you accomplished in your career thus far that makes you the right candidate for this role, and how would you use your background and experiences to propel Orb forward?
Resume including at least two references