1319 F Street Northwest
District of Columbia
About First Book: First Book, a 501c3 nonprofit social enterprise, tackles a pervasive and entrenched issue affecting the 32 million children from low-income families in the U.S. and Canada: unequal access to literacy and educational opportunities. By providing books and educational resources to schools and programs, First Book is elevating the quality of education and improving the lives of children in need.
To date, First Book has provided more than 175 million new books, educational resources and basic needs items to children from low-income families. First Book has also aggregated the largest and fastest growing community of educators and program leaders serving children in need in North America.
About the position: First Book is seeking an energetic, highly motivated, business-minded individual who thrives in a fast-paced environment. The successful candidate must possess a drive to make a difference in the lives of children in need through business growth and development. The National Network Engagement Team resides at the forefront of First Book’s growth trajectory, as it is responsible for growing the network of programs and teachers we serve and for driving usage of First Book’s resources. The Partner Development Manager is responsible for growing their portfolio, including cultivating, managing and leveraging partnerships within the nonprofit sector to generate awareness for First Book, connect new members to First Book’s network, and stimulate usage of First Book resources through revenue-driving activities – resulting in the delivery of more resources to children in need.
A best-fit candidate will have a strong track record of success building meaningful partnerships while working toward goals and deadlines. An ideal candidate for this position will be well-versed in issues related to cultural competency, equity and inclusion. This Partner Development Manager position focuses on fostering relationships and delivering measurable impact. This position is an ideal fit for someone who enjoys thriving in a changing and flexible work environment and who is highly collaborative.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Partnership Development – Work with the Director and Partnership Team to identify, cultivate and manage key partner relationships, with a primary focus on large-scale organizations. Develop new relationships and initiatives to grow partnership portfolio. Determine action steps for moving new partnerships forward. Maintain a high level of knowledge regarding your focus areas and be aware of external issues facing specific partners. Understand the landscape of partners in your focus areas. Educate yourself on prospective partners. Be entrepreneurial in your space.
- Relationship Management – Develop a deep understanding of partner needs and obstacles to maximizing use of First Book’s resources; translate insight into partner strategy. Develop a comprehensive understanding of how First Book can support the mission and goal of each partner; utilize that knowledge to create mutually beneficial partnership strategies. Proactively and creatively support your partners. Approach each existing partnership with a strategic outlook and build action plans accordingly. Design and implement partner outreach strategies and communication plans. Foster direct and open lines of communication with partners. Provide exceptional responsiveness, project management and extraordinary attention to detail on behalf of your partners. Act as the “voice of the partner” internally, understanding and representing your partner’s needs within First Book and advocating on behalf of your partners.
- Engagement Stimulation – Work with partners to develop high-impact proposals that define and implement relevant strategies to stimulate engagement in large-scale ways. Identify measurable opportunities for registration and usage stimulation. Prioritize your partner accounts to support funded efforts. Identify new funding opportunities, and package them in a way that can be presented to potential funders. Help develop new engagement opportunities based on partner objectives/goals. Make recommendations to Director around strategies/action plans for connecting with assigned partner networks, and execute resulting initiatives.
- Project Management -- Lead execution of partner-related initiatives. Lead cross-functional planning meetings, create project plans, draft strategic briefs, execute flawlessly, and measure and report on results. Understand how to navigate and coordinate internally among cross-functional teams. Represent First Book as the lead in all communications with partners.
- First Book Representation – Represent First Book at partner meetings, conferences, panels, receptions and speaking engagements. Plan and execute national presentations and partner facing collateral accordingly. Host webinars and lead conference calls.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty at a high level. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Must have exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Must have proven ability to successfully collaborate, manage and clearly communicate in a cross-functional environment
- Must be highly organized and results-driven. Must be able to meet and/or exceed financial goals and deadlines. Must possess a strong attention to detail
- Must have a creative approach to problem solving, can-do attitude, and ability to multi-task and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Must be motivated to excel at revenue-driving activities
- Must be flexible and adaptable. Must be extremely comfortable with and motivated by change
- Interest in working in a fun and creative professional environment a must
- A minimum of 5 years project management experience required
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs required
Education and/or Experience:
- Five years of relevant work experience required
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Experience in the nonprofit sector preferred
- Ability to travel (10% travel)
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage
- Vacation leave
- Sick leave
- Eleven Annual Holidays
- 401 K and employer matching pension contribution
- Transportation benefits
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
TO APPLY: Candidates are invited to submit a resume and a cover letter to http://firstbook.force.com/careers . No phone calls please.