About the Role:
Kol Tzedek seeks a Managing Director to join our small but mighty staff, which includes two full time and three part-time staff. The Managing Director is responsible for the overall business operations and management of Kol Tzedek. This work includes independently setting goals and objectives and working directly with clergy, staff, and board to ensure that goals are aligned with the needs of our congregation and leaders. This is an internal facing position developing, implementing, and managing all systems (and spreadsheets!) to create a caring, collaborative environment that optimizes user experience and minimizes internal stress for staff and board.
- You are a creative problem-solver, systems thinker, experienced manager of people and projects
- You light up around spreadsheets and data organization
- You love tracking complex details for events and programs that create meaning in people's lives
- Confident talking about money and resources as a way to realize organizational, spiritual, and political goals
- Experience with leadership and board development
- Demonstrated track record of antiracist, queer, and feminist leadership practices
- A strong leader with a minimum of three years of experience managing personnel, programs, and facilities
- Demonstrated ability to listen empathetically in an environment of diverse perspectives
- Adept at prioritizing and successfully addressing a heavy and varied responsibility list
- Strong team player with the ability to delegate
- Ability to use, implement, and learn tech platforms. Currently we use: Google Suite, Slack, ClickUp for task and project management, BreezeCHMS (CRM), Quickbooks Online, and Zoom
- Understanding of or openness to learning about Jewish and Reconstructionist customs, practices, and holidays
- You are energized by the idea of developing internal policies, procedures, and processes to improve systems of governance in collaboration with a Board of Directors
- Expertise with hiring, coaching, and performance management
- Possess a strong analysis of race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, ability, and class, along with an embodiment of practices that recognize and seek to address how interlocking systems of oppression operate within programs and internal to our shul
- Desire to work with members and staff with a broad range of cultural-political identities and religious practice observances
- Oversee synagogue operations and systems, communications (internal and external), personnel and project management, member relations, finance, and fundraising.
- Ensure that staff and lay leadership work together to successfully serve the needs of the community.
- Collaborate with the board and clergy on a process to clarify and define Kol Tzedek's mission, vision, and values.
- Be the bridge between program and operations and see the organization in its fullness.
- Sustain close, collaborative relationships with the Senior Rabbi and other clergy, as well as President of the Board of Directors to ensure goals and objectives are aligned with the congregation's strategic plan.
- Develop and implement systems-wide approach to project management, holidays, and lifecycle planning.
- Monitor and adjust budgets for all programs and projects.
- Manage and develop staff and promote a highly effective work culture, including:
- Developing job descriptions
- Hiring and supervising staff
- Training and mentoring
- Oversee human resources and ensure adherence to HR policies and protocol including annual performance plans and staff reviews.
Leadership Development & Member Engagement
- Develop systems for volunteer coordination and leadership development for all committees, havurot, and board leadership, with attention to developing and centering the leadership of underrepresented voices in our community.
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with congregants and address congregational concerns in a timely manner.
- Work directly with the board to support internal governance and develop leadership of board members.
- Provide reports on all operational aspects of the synagogue to the board.
Financial Management & Fundraising
- Supervise the Operations Manager and partner with the Board Treasurer to create and manage the budget, providing reports to the Board as needed.
- Oversee payroll, payables and receivables, financial relationships, and contracts with vendors and building renters.
- Ensure consistent implementation of accounting best practices and use of software.
- Manage the budget in partnership with the President, Treasurer, and Finance Committee of the Board; assure adherence to the budget and established financial performance markers.
- Supervise Operations Manager, who oversees all aspects of facilities.
- Collaborate with Senior Rabbi, Operations Manager, and Facilities Taskforce in developing and implementing a vision for Kol Tzedek's overall use of space and needs for physical gathering spaces.
- Supervise Communications Coordinator.
- Develop communications strategies at internal and external levels of the organization in collaboration with Senior Rabbi and Communications Coordinator.
- Oversee communications to congregants, prospective members, and the broader community.
- Oversee web and digital media for synagogue.
- Promote information sharing among clergy, staff, and board.
Kol Tzedek is excited to add a full-time Managing Director to our small, dynamic, and growing team. We see this as a long term leadership role with room for growth. You will help us build sustainable operating systems, manage our growing membership, and amplify our voice for justice. You will primarily be responsible for creating organizational systems and strategic visions that synthesize the work of the staff, clergy, and board. Your ability to juggle several responsibilities at once with optimism, enthusiasm, and a rigorous attention to detail will create a lasting impact on our congregation and community. The Managing Director will report directly to the Senior Rabbi and will supervise the Operations Manager and Communications Coordinator.