The Berkeley Student Cooperative (BSC) is an 85-year-old student-governed and operated, non-profit affordable housing cooperative near the University of California at Berkeley. Our mission is to provide quality, low-cost, cooperative housing to students who otherwise might not be able to afford a university education. The BSC houses 1200 students in 17 room-and-board houses and 3 apartment complexes (ranging in size from 17 to 259 students). We provide numerous leadership opportunities to students, who perform the majority of the day-to-day functions, working alongside a professional staff of 28, to operate the organization. To learn more about the BSC please visit our website at www.bsc.coop.
JOB DESCRIPTION OVERVIEW
The Cooperative Experience Manager (CXM) is responsible for strategic approaches to helping create and maintain the best possible cooperative living environment for college students, enabling them to learn, grow, and thrive as members of a member-owned cooperative.
Specifically, the Cooperative Experience Manager is responsible for member health and safety, education and cultural transformation, and member engagement in our democratically run co-op. The CXM serves as a liaison with communications to/from the organization’s central-level, as well as with campus and community resources. The CXM is also responsible for working with student co-op leaders to oversee member conduct policies and procedures, thereby ensuring that these processes function smoothly. Additional duties and projects may also be assigned.
This position works closely with member leadership, the Executive Director, and senior management in order to achieve overall organizational objectives. Most importantly, the Cooperative Experience Manager must have the ability and desire to work with college students in a student member-controlled cooperative environment. This position reports to the Executive Director.
SKILLS / KNOWLEDGE EXPECTED FOR JOB PERFORMANCE
● Excellent leadership skills, and supervisory experience.
● Excellent interpersonal, verbal/ written communication skills.
● Ability to cope with conflict.
● Ability to work in a fast-paced office environment and in stress or crisis.
● Desire and ability to work in a college student member-controlled cooperative environment.
● The ability to work independently on sensitive, confidential, and often complicated issues with diligence and respect.
● Basic knowledge of human resources and personnel policy and best practices for facilitating conversations around expectations in a team environment.
● Intermediate skill in managing the effective use by others of computer applications to achieve goals.
● Ability to analyze problems/issues, gather data and information, evaluate and recommend alternative solutions, or effect solutions with a tolerance for ambiguity and change, when necessary.
● A mission driven approach to work, and a desire to contribute meaningfully to the BSC and its specific mission of providing affordable, quality, cooperative housing to a population that needs support in affording higher education.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
● 4-year BA or BS college degree or higher, preferably in Student Life Administration or a related field.
● Significant job experience working with a college/university student population, particularly in a residential setting.
● At least 4 years of supervisory/management experience overseeing multiple staff members, and preferably student staff, is required.
● Experience organizing and leading trainings and familiarity with best practices in adult learning pedagogy.
● Familiarity, in a work setting, with the many and complex issues faced by populations of college students, (e.g. mental health, substance abuse, and other health and wellness issues).
● Previous experience living or working in a democratic, member controlled, and/or cooperative environment.
● Advanced degree or significant continuing education and/or related certifications.
● Previous experience working with a labor union.
● Experience in conflict mediation.
● Crisis management experience.
● Experience working with the BSC’s target demographic groups, including but not limited to:
o Low-income students
o Students of color
o Disabled students
o Queer and trans students
o Previously incarcerated individuals
● Ability to sit for long hours and sustain long hours of computer and keyboard use.
● The ability to work evenings on a somewhat regular basis is required.
● Willingness and ability to carry an emergency telephone and respond to emergency calls.
To be considered for this position, you must submit the following: your resume, a cover letter summarizing your qualifications (required), and a list of three professional references. In addition, you may submit a BSC Job application, which can be downloaded from our website: hicom.bsc.coop. Your submission for this position must be received by 5:00pm on Friday, September 24, 2021. Applications may be sent directly to jobs AT bsc.coop
THE BSC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Berkeley Student Cooperative (BSC) is an 85-year-old student-governed and operated, non-profit affordable housing cooperative near the University of California at Berkeley. Our mission is to provide…