West 102nd Street
Intro/Program Description: Goddard Riverside Community Center (GRCC) Learning to Work (LTW) for Transfer Schools Program at Edward Reynolds West Side High School provides students over-aged and under-credited ages 16 -21 with services and opportunities to foster engagement through academic and personal development that lead to earning a high school diploma. Primary goals include getting students to graduate with realistic and meaningful post-secondary plans, gain knowledge and skills that will increase the employability and awareness of post-high school opportunities available to them. Some opportunities include higher education, trade/technical schools and community service programs. Using the Primary Person Model, each student has an LTW Staff Member as a support to minimize and/or remove barriers toward graduation including engaging students in college preparation, and meaningful career exploration including subsidized internships, academic and personal support services to increase self-direction and self-sufficiency.
The LTW Advocate Counselor is the primary person support for a cohort of students who he/she knows well, counsels to promote goal-setting and supports towards the achievement of graduation with a meaningful postsecondary plan The Advocate Counselor will be instrumental in working alongside students to break through barriers that prevent them from achieving academic, social and emotional success. This position will serve as liaison between parent, school and student as well as connector to resources within and outside of the school.
Role, Responsibilities, and Essential Duties
Case Management & Support Services:
- Primary person advisor for a cohort of at least 40 students
- Conduct regular one on one sessions with students, at least twice a month
- Support students to create SMART goals and to works towards implementation
- Partner with the students, family and/or caring adults, school and LTW teams to develop an individualized plan for each student
- Conduct and support student advisory groups in collaboration with school faculty
- Provide updates on progress of students to LTW Program Leadership and key school staff as needed; participate in weekly case conferencing with school and LTW staff
- Providing crisis intervention and counseling for students as needed, under supervision of the counseling director.
- Providing attendance outreach through phone calls, texts through agency telephone, letters, and/or home visits
- Organize and implement special activities/events that are meet the recreational, cultural, social needs of the school community.
- Support new student admission process (outreach, open houses/intake interviews, new student orientation, parents orientations,)
- Partner with students to identify opportunities and referrals based on need and aspirations of the student and family.
- With Counseling Director and Program Director, create best practices for case management and support service to ensure high quality and demographic appropriate.
- Participate in creating a seamless web of support for the student that includes school personnel, family and community opportunities
College & Career Readiness and post-graduation planning
- Assist students to define career interests for exploration through internships, job shadowing and other career exploration activities
- Partner with College Access Counselor and Internship Coordinator College and Career planning.
- Track students’ academic progress using report cards, progress reports other resources provided by the school and program.
- Help students identify interest, strengths and challenges in order to develop SMART goals and take advantage of opportunities for Ongoing growth
- Support students to develop employability skills (Resume building, Cover letter writing, Mock Interviews, completion of internship application, job shadowing opportunities) through individual and group activities
- Record service/progress notes for students including but not limited to student interests and activities, SMART goals, attendance outreach, individual counseling, career and college advisement and exploration, service and volunteer activities, and other information as required by program. Assess for referrals to community-based support services for students and family members
- Assist Students not participating in subsidized internships provide with non-paid service learning and/or community service placements during the academic year, upon request and in collaboration with Internship Coordinator.
- Collaborate in the successful launch of program with LTW Program Director, NYCDOE Staff and the school community.
- Lead and/or champion school events to build community, pride and a welcoming environment.
- Prepare and present workshops as needed for development of students’ leadership, life skills and self-efficacy.
- Strategize with team for program improvement.
- Attend and participate in-school / community-based meetings, administrative meetings, professional development trainings and other meetings as needed.
- Complete task and/ projects assigned by Counseling Director, LTW Program Director, ADED and DED.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Experience with teens, older youth and/or young adults
- Understanding of the developmental and social needs of older teens
- Knowledge of evidence-based and/or Best Practices in case management and servicing Opportunity / Disconnected Youth is highly desirable
- Must obtain Department of Education fingerprint clearance and maintain throughout duration of employment.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Outstanding communication skills
- Ability to self-reflect
- Efficient and organized
- Knowledge of best workforce approaches for teens and young adults
- Team player
- Knowledgeable or willing to learn web-based systems
- Sense of humor a plus
- Curiosity and willingness to learn
- Fluency in Spanish is desirable
- Previous experience with SMART goals, Motivational Interviewing and/or Restorative Justice highly desirable
- Frequent walking and standing
- School Community
- Fast paced
- Team Oriented
Minimum Education Required