Community Engagement Specialist: Food Security (AmeriCorps VISTA, August 2018-August 2019)
- Job posted by United Way of Greater New Haven
Details: AmeriCorps Living Stipend
370 James Street
United Way of Greater New Haven (UWGNH) brings people and organizations together to create solutions to Greater New Haven’s most pressing challenges in the areas of Education, Financial Stability, and Health. We tackle issues that cannot be solved by any one group working alone.
We are seeking a full-time AmeriCorps VISTA member to participate in our efforts with the Hamden Food Security Task Force. This AmeriCorps VISTA position with the Community Impact Team will work to engage community members and address hunger in families and children in Hamden. They will also be assisting with school staff, town officials, and community members to build a responsive, individualized, and culturally sensitive food system based in Hamden Public Schools.
The ideal candidate will be experienced in reaching out to the community and engaging organizations/businesses/faith groups/residents and passionate about helping people in need and promoting community philanthropy.
Reporting Structure: Reports to Jason Martinez, Director of Community Engagement
Essential Job Functions:
- Develop and implement plans to assess community need and wants around hunger.
- Engage in deep listening at community events, group and one-on-one meetings.
- Be present and visible in the community and with partners (organizations, volunteers) representing UWGNH at a wide range of community events.
- Engage and manage volunteers to help execute the organization’s community impact work.
- Collaborate effectively within the organization, working cross-functionally with all departments.
- Establish effective and efficient processes that align department priorities with greater organization goals, strategy, and mission.
- Work with partners to establish school based emergency food services that are unique and individualized to each neighborhood.
- Survey clients of the system to assess how well services are addressing need.
- Assist in developing a ‘high-impact’ volunteer process focused on improving capacity of emergency food services.
- Respond to inquiries from potential volunteers.
- Maintain spreadsheet of contact with potential volunteers.
- Evaluate effectiveness of recruitment process, volunteer orientation, training, materials
- and support and make recommendations for improvement.
- Create and implement exit interview format for volunteers leaving program mid-year.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Ability to work with diverse staff and groups of volunteers.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to balance and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and a clear, 'on-target' writing style.
- Ability to proactively prioritize competing demands and efficiently manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including occasional evenings and weekends
- Demonstrated ability to maintain positive and engaging relationships.
- Proficient with Google and MS Office.
- Proactive and strategic thinker with the ability to work both individually and collaboratively.
- Creative and result-oriented self-starter, willing to learn.
- Valid driver's license and reliable transportation preferred.
- Must be able to lift 25-50 lbs.
Ideally, the successful candidate will be:
- Personally committed to advancing UWGNH’s values, mission, goals and programs.
- A flexible, reliable, creative, outgoing and energetic person who can handle and prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities; a self-starter and finisher.
- A superior communicator who shares information readily and concisely, and listens as well as gives advice.
- A team player who inspires collaboration and functions decisively.
- Culturally aware and sensitive.
- Emotionally mature and self-confident, with a sense of humor in order to maintain balance and perspective.
Annual Living Stipend of $14,665
Education Award of $5,800
AmeriCorps VISTA Health Benefits: https://www.vistacampus.gov/sites/default/files/VISTA_Health_Benefits_FAQs_11-2017.pdf
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates can view the position at: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=79776&fromSearch=true
To apply, create a profile on the My AmeriCorps Portal (https://my.americorps.gov/mp/login.do) and search for this VISTA position.