UNITE HERE is a labor union that represents 300,000 workers across Canada and the United States. Our membership is diverse. We are predominantly women and people of color, and we hail from all corners of the planet. Together, we are building a movement to win greater equality and opportunity. www.unitehere.org
Our union has recently been on the forefront of many important struggles including:
- Fighting against sexual harassment and assault in the workplace – including winning legislation and union contract language to protect hotel housekeepers from sexual assault by requiring employers to provide panic buttons.
- Resisting Trump’s attacks on immigrants – UNITE HERE was a leading organization in the Immigrant Worker Freedom Ride in 2003, a key moment in shifting the union movement towards a pro-immigration stance. Now, in the Trump era, our members have joined others as plaintiffs in lawsuits to preserve TPS, and we are leaders in the fight for DACA and comprehensive immigration reform for all.
- Raising wages – Last year, thousands of UNITE HERE members at Marriott hotels across the country won groundbreaking raises and protections on the job after leading historic weeks-long strikes.
- Fighting for justice for Black workers – UNITE HERE has pioneered union contract language to push back against anti-Black discriminatory hiring practices in hotels. UNITE HERE joined Black Lives Matter protests across the country, sent delegates to the Movement for Black Lives National Convening in 2015, and has an internal Black leadership working group to promote the leadership of Black members and staffing our union.
- Fighting for LGBTQ workers – UNITE HERE fights for union contract language to protect workers against all forms of discrimination – including discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender expression and identity. In many states, this is the only protection that lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer, and gender nonconforming workers have against discriminatory firing. The UNITE HERE HEALTH plan that covers many of our members and staff provides coverage for gender affirming hormone therapy, surgery, and related services.
Our campaign teams conduct industry, corporate, real estate and political research and analysis to develop and carry out campaigns focused on winning economic justice for low wage, majority women, people of color and immigrant hospitality workers. Our campaigns organize non-union workers and secure improved standards for existing union members in the food service, gaming and casino, and hotel industries.
Job responsibilities will include:
- Lead a team of campaigners who research companies using a wide variety of sources, including published databases, online and human sources;
- Develop company analyses and adapt them for various audiences (e.g. leadership & staff, workers, stockholders, political & regulatory bodies, the public);
- Communicate and build relationships with a wide variety of constituents including community organizations, company officials, customers, government staff and elected leaders;
- Develop and carry out campaign strategies and tactics;
- Work with UNITE HERE members, organizers, regional staff and elected leaders; move campaigns forward through organizing, leading actions, doing political work, as needed;
- Work collaboratively with other union leaders to develop and lead comprehensive campaigns, sometimes involving multiple UNITE HERE locals; and
- Play a role in developing and carrying out trainings for staff and union members.
Desired Qualifications include:
- Passion for, and commitment to, fighting for workers' rights;
- BA degree or relevant research and/or activist experience (labor, political, urban planning, or community/campus);
- 5 years or more of campaign experience, including supervising other campaign staff or organizers;
- Strong analytical, writing, computer and interpersonal/organizing skills
- Willingness to travel
- Familiarity with database and word processing software
- Ability to effectively manage a workload with competing priorities and deadlines and to manage a team’s workload.
Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary range is $62,000 - $75,000, commensurate with experience and UNITE HERE’s salary schedule for leads and directors. Positions include excellent health and retirement benefits.
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
Other locations may be possible