The Lobular Breast Cancer Alliance (LBCA) engages patients, clinicians, and researchers to increase knowledge of lobular breast disease and promote lobular breast cancer research. Working with the guidance of an international, expert scientific advisory board of breast cancer researchers and clinicians, and through growing collaborations with other breast cancer advocacy organizations in the US and internationally, LBCA provides a platform for ILC research, maintains a library of current lobular breast cancer studies, and identifies clinical trials and research advocacy opportunities with a focus on lobular breast disease. LBCA provides and disseminates widely basic, current educational information about ILC including early stage and metastatic lobular breast cancer, to enhance understanding about how lobular is different from other breast cancer sub-types, and share any new knowledge gleaned from recent research. LBCA aims to empower patients to be more informed partners in their self-care and treatment and help clinicians to be more informed and confident in the treatment plans they promote. LBCA also fosters dialogue among clinicians and researchers to address challenges of detecting and treating ILC, discuss groundbreaking findings, and identify new ILC research priorities and opportunities for collaboration.
LBCA is run by a small staff and a handful of volunteers who are patients with ILC or their loved ones, and others who have volunteered with LBCA to support our mission and vision. LBCA has over 3100 subscribers and new subscribers and volunteers are signing up every day from all over the US and the world. LBCA organization maintains a website, two Facebook pages, a twitter account, and a LinkedIn account. LBCA’s staff all work from their own homes and meet virtually.
LBCA Mission and Vision
As the only organization in the US dedicated to Invasive Lobular Breast Cancer (ILC), LBCA’s mission is:
to make all who are touched by ILC aware of its unique characteristics and the critical need for more ILC research, to be the go-to source for information on ILC studies, clinical trials and educational tools, to foster partnerships among patients, scientists, clinicians and breast cancer organizations to increase dialogue about ILC and research advocacy, and to fund vital ILC research.
LBCA’s Vision is: a world in which lobular breast cancer is found early, treated effectively, and eradicated permanently.
LBCA is a fiscally sponsored organization and has 501(c)(3) tax exempt status as a project of Social and Environmental Entrepreneurs (SEE), a registered public charity. All support and funding for LBCA’s operations comes from generous donors, including patients with lobular breast disease and their loved ones, grants, foundations, and contributions from other 501(c)(3) not for profit organizations. It is LBCA’s aim to raise enough funds in the next 12-18 months to become an independent 501(c)(3) organization and begin to fund ILC research.
Development Director Position Summary
LBCA seeks an experienced entrepreneurial individual for the position of part-time Development Director who is committed to LBCA’s mission and interested in understanding the science of breast cancer.
Reporting to and in partnership with the Executive Director (ED), the Development Committee, the Chief Operating Officer (COO), and the Communication Director (CD), the Development Director (DD) will assist in developing and leading all development and fundraising efforts. The DD will have the exciting opportunity to build up the development functions for our small but growing charitable organization. The DD will have responsibility for planning, organizing, and directing all of LBCA’s fundraising including, the major gifts program, annual fund, planned giving, special events and initiatives, grant applications, and capital campaigns and for managing the donor database - Bloomerang. The DD will also have responsibility for convening a volunteer development committee and for overseeing all development committee volunteers and interns.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
At the direction of the ED, COO and, with some assistance from the CD, the Development Director will be responsible for the following:
Development Director will:
1. Assist with and provide expert guidance on the conduct of electronic and mail fundraising appeals and campaigns.
2. Assist with the execution of LBCA’s annual development plan, annual report, and annual development goal setting.
3. Assist with the management of the donor database (Bloomerang) including uploading new and updating existing donor information.
4. Assist with developing and leading a strategy for implementing a major gifts program that includes planned giving and legacy gifts, and building a pipeline of new donors, including industry donors, including how to develop stewardship plan, including gift acknowledgement procedures and donor recognition, and identification of and help implementing different vehicles for generating revenue such as Jeffersonian dinners.
5. Assist ED with portfolio of prospective donors and supporters and with arranging and attending meetings in-person and virtually with donors to establish effective communications and relationships with them.
6. Assist ED in working with LBCA’s scientific advisors to develop and implement special “meet the experts” and other conversations with major and potential major donors.
7. Help design and implement a strategy for an ongoing process for identifying grant support including research, proposal writing, and tracking and developing documents in compliance with reporting requirements.
8. Help establish a process for outreach to pharmaceutical companies.
9. Assist the ED with recruiting for and convening an LBCA Development Committee.
10. Assist the ED and COO working with LBCA volunteers seeking to conduct fundraising events, peer-to-peer fundraisers and other fundraising activities on behalf of LBCA. It will be important to be able to have sufficient and effective fundraising strategies without live events.
11. Convene and oversee the LBCA volunteer development committee with support from the COO.
12. The Development Director will participate in LBCA staff meetings and speak with the ED at least once/week on a 1:1 basis, and more often, as necessary.
The ideal development director candidate:
· Must embrace the mission of LBCA and have great interest in understanding the science of breast cancer
· Must be entrepreneurial, highly self-motivated, energetic, a good listener and enjoy developing relationships
· Has knowledge and extensive experience in fundraising techniques, including initiating donor emails, visits, and fundraising calls, particularly with major gift fundraising, and experience with large electronic and postal fundraising appeals and working with electronic donor databases, (ideally with Bloomerang)
· Displays a positive attitude, shows concern for people and community, demonstrates presence, self-confidence, and common sense
· Must possess strong interpersonal and writing skills and the skills to work with and motivate staff, committee members, and other volunteers
· Is organized and exhibits “follow through” on tasks and goals
· Ideal candidates have had experience in fundraising for a non-profit health care or cancer care organization
· Ideal candidates have had experience helping to launch one or more new non-profit organizations
· A bachelor’s degree (MA a plus)
· 15 years+ experience in professional fundraising, individuals with experience in launching non-profits preferred
The Lobular Breast Cancer Alliance (LBCA) engages patients, clinicians, and researchers to increase knowledge of lobular breast disease and promote lobular breast cancer research. Working with the guidance of an…