The Advocacy and Engagement Organizer is responsible for helping to support the development and maintenance of practices and structures to advance the agency’s justice priorities as identified by collaboration with clients, staff, and community partners; ultimately positioning the organization as the D.C. Metro Area’s leader in the field of perinatal support services and workforce development. This position is an integral part of the Policy and Organizing team and works collaboratively across the organization with supervisory support from the Senior Policy & Advocacy Manager.
ATTRIBUTES OF COMPETITIVE CANDIDATES
- Willingness to embodying anti-oppression values and skills to advance a Black birthing person-centered policy and advocacy agenda;
- Engages in critical inquiry to promote self-awareness and accountability and implement liberatory frameworks within personal and team objectives and deliverables;
- A creative thinker and patient team member willing to test out new ideas;
- An exceptional communicator and networker;
- Understanding and application of interdependence and self-motivation in a work setting;
- History of working with a diverse population in a mutually respectful manner, using a strengths-based approach;
- Interest and experience in amplifying the inherent power of Black families to address systemic issues and make meaningful and lasting changes in their own lives and their community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Other duties may need to be assigned to meet organizational needs.
ADVANCE JUSTICE CENTERED PARTNERSHIPS
- Increase understanding and investment in Mamatoto Village’s strategic justice priorities by developing and nurturing robust relationships with the local community and network partners.
- Participate in local and regional coalitions, meetings, and community outreach and networking events to advance Mamatoto mission and vision
- Facilitate connection and partnership support to promote action-oriented solutions for systems change as directed by the Senior Policy and Advocacy Manager
- Increase understanding and investment in Mamatoto Village’s strategic justice priorities by developing and nurturing robust relationships with the Village Keepers coalition.
- Liaise between the Policy and Organizing team and the Village Keepers coalition to support the actualization of collaborative projects.
STAKEHOLDER & PARTNERSHIP ENGAGEMENT
- Implement logistical processes to collaborate with a network of partners, community members, and stakeholders around the critical ward and District-wide issues that influence Mamatoto Villages’ mission, vision, and justice priorities;
- Utilize justice-centered storytelling to craft and disseminate influential advocacy and policy-based case statements and supportive materials;
- Cultivate and strengthen logistical processes to support Village Keeper Coalition members' training, development, and active participation;
- Collaborate across agency departments to integrate justice principles and amplify the experiences of Black birthing and postpartum people in the district;
- Bolster community attention and understanding of relevant issues impacting the lives of Black Birthing people and their families;
- Participate in local and regional coalitions, meetings, and community outreach and networking events to advance Mamatoto Village’s mission and vision.
RESEARCH & MONITOR FOR IMPACT
- Research and present legislative and community advocacy opportunities to influence solutions related to Mamatoto Village’s justice priorities;
- Assist in the coordination of listening sessions with stakeholders and network partners to identify awareness and action progression and opportunities for new or continued action;
- Collaborate to track and report partnership engagement with Mamatoto Village advocacy and action-based campaign, events, and justice-based storytelling initiatives;
- Research and present information on relevant current events to strengthen and improve the alignment between the Village Keepers Coalition and Mamatoto Village’s justice priorities;
- Assist in evaluating the durability of meaningful investment, opportunities, and interactions between Mamatoto Village, the Village Keepers Coalition, and community partners and stakeholders;
- Collaborate to develop and evaluate peer-to-peer recruitment models that sustain engagement and accelerate the impact of Village Keeper Coalition initiatives.
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS TO FOSTER SUCCESS
- Bachelors degree minimum in women's health, public health, social work, sociology, or African-American/africana Studies or relevant degree; or
- Three to four year experience in advocacy, community organizing, and outreach
- Skilled perspective in amplifying and highlighting the voices and lived experiences of Black people
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing with a wide variety of people, including birthing people and their families, public officials, community and network partners, and individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Familiarity with activities and concepts of justice related to advancing birthing, reproductive, and racial justice.
- Past success working with communities, with the ability to cultivate existing relationships and establish new relationships;
- Willingness to engage in continuous learning and responsive to constructive feedback
- Skillful with MS Office, iOS, and Google Drive to include Docs, Sheets, and Slides