ENTRY LEVEL HOUSING ATTORNEY AT GULF COAST OFFICE
The Mississippi Center for Justice seeks to hire an entry level attorney for our Gulf Coast office in Biloxi. The Center seeks an attorney whose substantive law concentrations/educational background/clinical experience includes exposure to the Fair Housing Act and the Mississippi Landlord/Tenant Act.
The Center is a nonprofit, public interest law firm committed to advancing racial and economic justice statewide. Our lawyers work with community leaders to support their social justice campaigns and to channel the energies of the legal community to combat discrimination and poverty. With offices in Jackson, Biloxi and Indianola, we seek systemic solutions that promote educational opportunity, protect the rights of consumers, and secure access to healthcare and child care, and make fair and affordable housing available for all Mississippians.
As a full-time employee, based in Biloxi and reporting to the Housing Law Director, the attorney will support two related projects: (1) A Fair Housing education and outreach project designed to inform Mississippians about their rights under the Fair Housing Act; (2) A Fair Housing enforcement project designed to investigate and prosecute claims of housing discrimination in Southern Mississippi.
Job duties will include:
· Client intake and interview
· Investigation of Fair Housing claims
· Negotiation with landlords/property owners
· Development of Fair Housing education materials
· Fair Housing presentations throughout the State of Mississippi
· Licensed in Mississippi, or capable of passing the Mississippi Bar within six (6) months
· Background in Mississippi Landlord/Tenant law and Fair Housing Act is required
· Excellent written and verbal communications skills
· Excellent organizational, networking and relationship-building skills
· Commitment to the mission of the Mississippi Center for Justice
Please send brief letter of interest, resume and two (2) references to HousingAttorney1@mscenterforjustice.org
The position will stay open until filled.
The Mississippi Center for Justice is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Minimum Education Required