3105 Gillham Rd, Suite #200
SchoolSmartKC (SSKC) is a charitable, non-profit organization that seeks to dramatically improve the performance of schools in the Kansas City Public School system. With significant funding from key investors including the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, the Hall Family Foundation, and the Walton Family Foundation, SSKC aims to close the performance gap between students in our local district and charter schools and their higher performing peers across the state of Missouri and the nation. Our efforts are designed to build common purpose within our local community, including parents and families, district and charter schools, resource providers and others to ensure young people reach their incredible potential. Working together, we target that in ten years our school system will have more than double the current percentage of schools and students showing performance on par with the state in ELA, math, and college and career readiness measures.
SSKC’s work is grounded in our first strategy, “Starting Smart”, which aims to ensure parents and families – the foundation of our school system – are well positioned to support educational improvement. SSKC’s Family Engagement Director plays a critical role in executing on this strategy. As such, s/he works in close partnership with all members of the SSKC team to advance efforts that ensure all families and students in the boundaries of the KC Public School System are able to access out of school supports critical to student success and build partnerships with educators and their schools to improve academic achievement. Specific Responsibilities include:
- Lead the day to day execution of SSKC’s family engagement programs, a series of initiatives developed over the last 18 months that aim to build stronger partnerships between schools, educators and disadvantaged families to improve student success.
- In partnership with a skilled community advisory team, nurture the development, growth and effective scaling of the next phase of these programs, including the evolution of the SSKC-supported Kansas City Family and Community Engagement Fellowship (KC-FCE) into a series of efforts that support all schools in our school system.
- Lead efforts to integrate SSKC family engagement efforts with community based supports needed by disadvantaged families, all to build a holistic framework of resources that ensure students are successful within schools.
- Nurture and build meaningful partnerships related to this critical institutional focus, both for programmatic excellence and to ensure greater resources are available to execute on this critical need.
Out of School Supports:
- Lead the day to day execution of SSKC programs enabling families to obtain community based supports necessary to ensure their children are successful within schools.
- Complete development and ensure effective execution of SSKC’s Circles of Care Initiative, building partnerships with community based organizations and schools to identify families in need and the critical supports needed to improve student attendance and performance.
- Further refine programmatic approach and design of grant programs that ensure critical supports are readily accessible and utilized by schools and families and promote improved student achievement.
- Nurture and build meaningful partnerships related to this initiative, both for programmatic excellence and to ensure greater resources are available to execute on this critical need.
- Build strong relationships with all SSKC team members and critical partners, including schools, educational support organizations, social service organizations, faith communities and others.
- Represent SSKC at events related to core responsibilities, developing frameworks for collaboration around issues that are critical to serving families and supporting student achievement.
- Filling the gap – taking the initiative, overcoming obstacles to address any challenge presented and being a fundamental link in ensuring our mission is accomplished.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred. Other degrees combined with relevant experience will be considered.
Work Experience: At least 7 years of experience in community engagement or other efforts mobilizing diverse stakeholders in support of improved provision of education and/or social services. Candidates should possess strong interpersonal, organization, management, research, writing, and communication skills.
Travel: Requires significant local travel around Kansas City and occasional business travel regionally and nationally.
Qualified incumbents for this position must be highly motivated, capable of self-direction, detail-oriented and able to work well in a highly collaborative, team-oriented, startup environment. He/she must exhibit a keen sense of responsibility and enjoy working with multiple demands, shifting priorities and constant change. A successful candidate will also possess:
- Strong knowledge base of schools in the Kansas City area and community and family engagement networks that work in support of schools.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to work closely and build relationships of trust with families and community partners from all types of backgrounds within Kansas City.
- Leadership skills, with the ability to establish and develop credibility quickly and create collaborative relationships at all levels within the community.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills as demonstrated in high-profile forums.
- Outstanding organizational skills with the ability to effectively manage in a fast-paced environment.
- A high level of ethics with a strong sense of integrity and committed to the values of SSKC and maintenance of confidentiality.
- Confident in his/her abilities, and an approach to work grounded in humility.
- Demonstrated skills at building relationships and leveraging existing relationships to improve outcomes of SSKC initiatives.
- An ability to maintain a calm and competent demeanor in uncomfortable or difficult situations.
- Financial acumen and experience managing budgets.
All of the statements in this position description are intended to describe the general nature of the work being performed, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. This document describes the position currently available. The organization reserves the right to modify job duties or job descriptions at any time.
A competitive compensation package, including base salary and an outstanding benefits package will correspond to the experience level, credentials, and personal characteristics of the candidate.
SSKC firmly supports the principle and philosophy of equal opportunity for all individuals, regardless of age, race, gender, creed, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other protected category pursuant to applicable federal, state or local law.
Interested applicants may apply for this position by submitting a cover letter and resume to HR@schoolsmartkc.org.
Minimum Education Required