ABOUT ONE FAIR WAGE
One Fair Wage is a national organization seeking to raise wages and working conditions in the service sector and to end all subminimum wages. Originally founded by tipped restaurant workers, the One Fair Wage campaign off into a broader, separate entity fighting for a full, fair wage for all tipped and subminimum wage workers, including tipped restaurant workers, nail salon and car wash workers, drivers and delivery workers at app-based companies, etc. Today, One Fair Wage legislation is moving in many states and in Congress. In key battleground states, One Fair Wage policy has proved to not only be important to raise wages, reduce pay inequities, and reduce sexual harassment for a mostly female workforce of tipped workers, but to also motivate hundreds of thousands of low-wage restaurant and other tipped and subminimum wage workers to vote.
One Fair Wage is seeking a Co-Organizing Director based in New York to support the management of the organizing team working to organize service workers to win One Fair Wage policy, and to regularly engage and grow our existing national coalition -- including updating, propositioning, and organizing current and potential partners to support ongoing advocacy, voter engagement activities, public actions and digital events. This position would report directly to the President and Senior Director.
National Coalition Organizer Responsibilities:
- Supervise a team of local organizers leading the efforts to build a base, develop the leadership of, and mobilize service workers in their states to win One Fair Wage policy
- Oversee partner organizations with whom the organization has subcontracted to run local One Fair Wage policy campaigns in several states
- Email, call, and digitally meet with our current and potential coalition partners on a regular basis to develop trust and culture of timely collaboration
- Convene the national, New York and other state One Fair Wage coalitions regularly
- Identify, research, meet with and grow the national coalition partner base in states we currently are working in to win OFW legislation
- Identify, research, and meet with potential OFW partners in states we want to start future OFW campaigns
- Update and mobilize coalition partners to national and statewide digital and in person events
- Work with the existing Organizing Director to formalize documentation and process for OFW coalition partnership and leadership roles
- Co-lead the organizing, implementation, and assessment of the annual No Worker Left Behind Convention (digital in Feb 2021)
- Represent One Fair Wage to other national coalitions, institutions, press, and priority relationships when necessary
- Stay up-to-date and coordinate with Directors, Organizers, and Communications teams on ongoing public actions and events
- Support strategic planning and facilitate meetings with staff and coalition partners
- Utilize social media to engage national and statewide coalition partners in OFW activities
- 5+ years labor/community member organizing, voter engagement, and/or 1to1 base-building experience;
- 3-5 years experience in managing and developing organizers
- Experience in coalition building and deep understanding of relational solidarity;
- Experience in developing and implementing cross-sector coalition and organizational infrastructure
- Maintenance of a professional attitude and strong ethical practice, and a willingness to learn, experiment, and grow coalition building techniques in the covid-digital age
- Strong verbal and written communication, leadership, and management skills;
- Access to stable internet, laptop, phone, and ability to work from home
- Demonstrated commitment to racial, social, and economic justice; and significant experience working collaboratively with persons of diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds,socioeconomic status, ages, and sexual orientations
- Restaurant and/or subminimum wage service work experience a plus; and
- Fluency in another language is preferred
- Ability to travel occasionally, and ideally located in NY.
This is a full time position with salary and benefits, starting immediately. Salary is $70-80k commensurate with experience; OFW will conduct ongoing interviews until the position is filled.
One Fair Wage is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, People of Color, Immigrants, and People with Disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Please send resume and cover letter to One Fair Wage President, Saru Jayaraman, at email@example.com