Ascend principals in residence (PIRs) work closely with their mentor principal as the academic and cultural leaders of an Ascend school. Our PIRs are passionate about developing their staff and rally their teams to achieve ambitious school goals. Through the intentional creation of vibrant school communities, PIRs inspire staff and students to engage in rigorous and purposeful learning. They succeed when those under their care succeed, and they develop enduring and joyful relationships with students, teachers, and parents.
In addition to shadowing their host principal, PIRs participate in hands-on, collaborative professional development sessions on Saturdays, which are led by network directors with backgrounds in school leadership or other relevant specialized expertise. As part of this training, PIRs engage in individualized stretch projects that support a growth area aligned to the needs of the school. Additionally, they serve as an assistant principal for at least one grade or department within their host school, leading and managing all aspects of the assistant principal role.
The principal in residence role is an ideal opportunity for a dynamic and visionary individual to play a central leadership role in growing and shaping one of our high-performing public charter schools, part of a broader network committed to ensuring our students have the knowledge, confidence and character to succeed in college and beyond.
Join us as we foster our students' innate curiosities, encourage discussion and debate, and guide students to think, imagine, debate, and create.
Why extraordinary leaders lead at Ascend
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 5,700 students in 15 schools across Brooklyn—New York's most populous borough. Our undertaking is to lead our students on a great intellectual adventure, provide them with an exceptional college preparatory education, and place them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. Even our school buildings are designed to reflect our high aspirations for teaching and learning and the notable accomplishments that occur within our walls.
To create this kind of vibrant learning community, we invest heavily in our faculty by providing ongoing professional training and support, and encourage our educators to collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes. Leading at Ascend means growing deeply in your career, expressing your voice, and playing a defining role in the future of your students, your school, and the Ascend network.
Ascend is committed to building a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and anti-racist community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
ResponsibilitiesCurriculum and instruction
- Develops school's ability to foster a culturally responsive classroom
- Collaborates with curriculum team to plan and execute curriculum and instruction that fosters student growth, creativity, and agency through aligned, culturally relevant materials and pedagogy
- Partners with principal to lead a team of secondary leaders to strengthen teachers knowledge of highest priority standards and inquiry-based instructional practices
- Manages partnership of leadership team and special educations team to ensure that all students, including those with exceptionalities, have the access and support needed to achieve
- Establishes and leads a culture that results in a love of learning, student agency, and full range of student learning and growth
- Builds an engaged, diverse, and inclusive school community
- Creates, leads, and maintains a culture where team members innovate in an effort to ensure equity gaps are eliminated and college and career readiness is a reality for all students
Racial equity mindset
- Creates and sustains a race equity culture, including skill building and leading self and others through awareness, growth, and development
- Continuously strengthens personal and staff knowledge and expertise in effective instructional design and academic standards with
- DEIA considerations in conjunction with the curriculum team
- Establishes, manages, and develops strong teams that collaborate, communicate, and work together for Ascend students and community
- Observes and coaches instructional staff, and leaders leading to pedagogical growth and student achievement
- Plans and leads professional development that results in improved pedagogy and student achievement
- Utilizes meaningful feedback of students, staff, families, and community to strengthen school programs and policies
- Creates, executes, and evaluates diagnostic assessments, plans, coaching, and evaluations to ensure development of all staff
- Works collaboratively and flexibly to create, evaluate, and improve systems and decision-making processes that strengthens outcomes
- Creates and strengthens a data-driven and data-hungry culture that relentlessly seeks continuous improvement
- Creates, strengthens, and maintains academic and culture systems and procedures
Whole student focus
- Establishes, fosters, and sustains a culture of academic success and social-emotional development through partnerships with students, staff, families, and community
- Creates and sustains a warm, welcoming, and inclusive environment for scholars, families and staff
- Creates and implements a vision that exhibits a deep belief in the potential of all students and leads to improvement for all learners
- Engages families and communities in support of child's learning and school learning goals
- Supervises effective use of resources and creates and executes on systems and processes to support the short and long term goals of the school
- Develops systems and structures to hire and retain diverse, highly-effective staff
- Selects and uses technological tools and coaches others in their use to strengthen school results and student achievement
- Leverages technology platforms to inform planning and decision-making in support of school goals and operations
Staff and reporting relationships
The principal in residence reports to the principal.
- Bachelor's degree, with advanced degree preferred
- At least three years teaching experience with a proven track record of elevating student achievement
- At least two years of experience leading, managing, and coaching a team of adults that demonstrates ability to drive results through others
- A hunger for feedback and self-improvement
- A high level of ownership over the overall outcomes of the scholars they lead
- Strong collaboration, interpersonal and communication skills, including working effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse perspectives
- Strong organizational, self-management, and problem-solving skills with the ability to handle many responsibilities simultaneously
- Self-awareness, with an ability to treat all members of the school's community with respect and an accurate idea of one's own strengths and weaknesses
- Ability to be a bold, tireless, and engaging change agent and culture-creator
- Skilled in content and pedagogy as evidenced by quantitative and qualitative data
- Demonstrated success using data to drive instruction
- Alignment with the educational philosophy and core beliefs of Ascend Learning
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. Please visit www.ascendschools.org/careers to learn more about the benefits of working at Ascend.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/OaMZayiBVNAWcgVbs28zp" />