Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Our diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Watch this video to learn more about Reading Partners.
The High Level:
The Community Engagement Officer is part of an energetic team of leaders working together to leverage Reading Partners’ mission in the community. The Community Engagement Officer’s main role is to mobilize the Fort Worth community and leverage existing relationships in support of literacy on the common mission that students by third grade achieve grade-level success in reading. Additionally, the Community Engagement Officer will help mentor AmeriCorps volunteer coordinators to recruit, train, celebrate, and retain a diverse portfolio of volunteers to serve as literacy tutors in our reading centers.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Community Engagement Officer strategizes and project manages the overall volunteer recruitment strategy for Reading Partners in Fort Worth including partnership development and management, communicating with stakeholders, volunteer engagement, event planning, and more. The ideal person is an expert relationship maximizer, mission-driven, goal-oriented, and is excited by both strategic and on-the-ground work.
This is a grant-funded position. As a result, we are looking for someone who is planning to stay in this role at RP for three years.
What you’ll do:
Each year, work with the Executive Director and community engagement team to create and drive an innovative and sustainable community engagement strategy to meet and exceed volunteer recruitment targets, specifically in the Fort Worth area.
- Build a comprehensive strategy to recruit, onboard, and support a robust pipeline of volunteer tutors to meet student enrollment goals, with increasing targets each year
- Further the collective impact efforts in Tarrant County to help children achieve success in reading by third grade
- Year over year, develop strategies to achieve 100% student enrollment earlier in the academic year, with the goal of full enrollment by end of January
- Increase volunteer retention to at least 40%
- Maintain high volunteer satisfaction levels as determined by mid-year and end of year volunteer surveys
- Build out partnerships across the region
- Collaborate with community stakeholders that have a shared commitment for literacy initiatives
Manage the Tutor Task Force in Fort Worth to positively impact all aspects of the volunteer experience by…
- Determining appropriate goals and quarterly benchmarks to ensure success
- Retention efforts
The Community Engagement Officer works to reflect a commitment of educational equity and inclusiveness and strong social justice supporting collaborative approaches with community members to achieve goals.
Other duties as needed.
How you’ll do it:
Relationship Development & Collaboration:
- Leverage existing relationships to maximize capacity and build new transformational relationships in the community for collective impact. Establish highly collaborative cross-functional relationships, and work effectively with all internal and external stakeholders for optimum program delivery resulting in strong data impact. Celebrate wins with all stakeholders. You possess a strong aptitude for effective oral and written communication and are able to tailor communication to various audiences by contextualized messaging and your innate ability to break down complex topics.
Leadership & Management:
- Demonstrate a genuine interest in coaching, inspiring, and developing emerging professionals toward goals. Demonstrate an ability to provide clear guidance and goals, to delegate, and to provide growth opportunities while supporting progress along the way. Support our emerging national network of Community Engagement Managers and other community engagement staff.
- Externally, demonstrate the ability to genuinely promote Reading Partners and our mission through a variety of strategies. Provide excellent customer service to partners and volunteers. Have a high level of comfort with public speaking and with crafting mass communications. Be able to differentiate communication depending upon your audience.
- Internally, set up strong systems for communication and messaging, tailor communication to audiences, and contextualize messaging. Demonstrate a strong aptitude for effective communication, remotely and in person, with direct reports, school stakeholders, and other Reading Partners staff. Be able to conduct difficult conversations with grace and ease.
- Create innovative solutions in the face of competition for resources, time, etc. with a high degree of adaptability and flexibility. Anticipate challenges and/or questions, and proactively execute solutions. Understand larger strategic priorities and make measurable progress against these larger goals. Be able to make quick, sound, and on-the-fly decisions that consider all stakeholders. See the bigger picture and also drill down to smaller details to connect the dots.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Tarrant County education landscape and broader community
- Have 3+ years of progressive experience in education, client management, community organizing, or similar field
- Have direct management experience of volunteers, interns and/or emerging professionals
- Have database management experience and high level of comfort with MS Office, Google Apps
- Have access to reliable transportation to travel within a defined geographic region on a daily basis
- Have flexibility and adaptability in work style and work schedule, including some night and weekend time
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree and a Master’s degree preferred
- Can prove eligibility to work in the U.S. legally
- Boast a deep belief in our mission
- Root your work in our core values
Bonus Points if you:
- Have experience working in the launch phase of projects or programs, and collective impact
- Are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, or other national service alum/alumna
Reading Partners offers the full package – great benefits, a great place to work and the opportunity to have a glowing and growing career.
- We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, flex spending accounts, generous paid time off, commuter benefits, 403(b) option, and Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us.
The other things you need to know:
- Travel : This position travels regularly/or other amount throughout North Texas region. This position may also involve occasional travel to Reading Partners’ National Headquarters in Oakland, CA.
- Typical Physical & Mental Demands: Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching, and eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to communicate with volunteers and staff. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you’re interested in joining our Reading Partners team, please submit the following application materials to our online job posting:
- A cover letter describing your interest in Reading Partners and how your past experience has prepared you for this role. Please include your salary needs.
At Reading Partners we respect and honor the diversity in our workforce, and we are an Equal Opportunity Employer.