AFS-USA is part of a worldwide network of AFS partner organizations that work together to advance global education and foster meaningful connections across cultures. As the network’s largest partner, AFS-USA works to increase the global competency of U.S. citizens by providing a variety of international and intercultural learning experiences to individuals, families, schools, and communities. We are proud of our Staff of approximately 200 dedicated individuals, working from our national office in New York City as well as home offices across the county, who collaborate with our more than 4,000 AFS-USA Volunteers to deliver high quality programs and global education resources. These include: immersion based study abroad experiences in over 40 countries worldwide; opportunities to host foreign AFS exchange students; and global learning workshops and curricula for educator, schools and businesses.
The Manager of Participant Learning reports to the Director of ICL and is responsible for the oversight and management of AFS USA participant learning which is a cornerstone of the mission and identity of AFS. This includes management of the operations related to the planning and delivery of all orientations and learning activities both distance and in person. The Manager of Participant Learning is responsible for the hiring, training and management of seasonal staffing for Gateways
The Manager of PL is expected to formulate specific policies, guidelines, and procedures that ensure all students on AFS programs receive quality orientations. The PL manager works closely with the Director of ICL and the ICL Content Specialist in assisting with content development and is expected to lead collaborations across numerous departments to develop and ensure the AFS learning goals and objectives are integrated into the activities. This person is expected to use a high level of discretion, and judgement in communicating diplomatically and effectively to a wide variety of audiences including volunteers, staff, partners, and parents on significant issues, processes, and procedures. A high level of teaching and facilitating skills engaging youth as well as adults is required. The National Manager Outbound Orientations has the following core tasks:
RESPONSIBILITIES: (Key functions)
- Management of Participant Learning Operations across all AFS teams in US.
- Collaborate with ICL content Specialist re: Materials and curriculum development
- Develop and implement an Evaluation process to measure, provide feedback and ultimately improve the selection of and skills of volunteers leading local orientations and ICL sessions.
- Facilitate gateway and PDO orientations as needed. Provide one on one orientations via phone and webinar
- Train and coach volunteer lead facilitators and orientation coordinators through distance learning and in person observation and feedback
- Assess, management and communication of issues requiring support or red flag cases originating on orientation sites;
- Update and revise Orientation Coordinator Manuals in collaboration with ICL content specialist
- Analyze data from evaluations and create and present Summary Reports
- Hire, train, and manage seasonal staffing for Gateways
- Work across departments including Travel, Support, Customer Experience, Sponsored Programs, and Hosting Operations, to ensure business operations are running in smooth coordination with learning mission.
- Lead and participate in various collaborative work groups
Work hours are generally from 9:00 am–5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. A moderate amount of evening and weekend work is required.
It is the policy of AFS-USA to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law) predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation.
- Masters preferred. Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in secondary education, international education or related field.
- 1 year of International/intercultural exchange experience (living or studying abroad or travel equivalent and exposure to other cultures).
- Intercultural global competency advanced coursework and communications course work or training
- Computer literacy, including word processing, spreadsheets, email, database, and Internet applications. (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, general database knowledge
- Facilitation or teaching experience in group settings, orientations along with comfort and positive regard of adolescents
- 1 to 2 years’ experience managing staff and/or volunteers
- Valid drivers license in New York and ability to drive and access automobile
Knowledge and Skills
- Effective training delivery, pedagogy, and instructional design education skills
- Dynamic interactive teaching style and strong skills in working with both adults and adolescents
- Commitment to the mission and values of AFS Intercultural Programs
- Ability to motivate staff and volunteers to achieve common goal
- Good verbal, written, and listening skills and an ability to successfully manage and resolve conflict
- Ability to successfully manage multiple priorities
- Excellent organizational skills, and high attention to detail
- Excellent customer service skills and sense of humor
- Cross-cultural experience
- Ability to work with persons of diverse backgrounds
- Experience with devising and analyzing evaluation tools
- Understanding of safety risk management issues
Medical, Dental, HRA, FSA, Retirement Plan, Paid Holiday Days, Vacation Days, Floating Holidays, and more!
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Do you want to join the AFS-USA Team?! To apply, please click on the link. Please include your cover letter and resume in the application. No phone calls please.