69 Beacon Street
For 48 years, the Friends of the Public Garden (The Friends) has advocated for the preservation and enhancement of the Boston Common, Public Garden and Commonwealth Avenue Mall. The Friends mobilizes advocacy for parks protection, and partners with the city Parks Department to conduct major improvement projects in the parks and provide ongoing care of trees, sculpture, fountains and other park elements. The Friends has many active members who enjoy our annual social events and educational programs. The office is conveniently located in Beacon Hill, at 69 Beacon Street directly across from the Public Garden and Boston Common.
The Communications & Outreach Associate (Associate) reports to the Director of Communications & Outreach (Director) is primarily responsible for providing support to, and working in collaboration with, the Director with all aspects of the Friends communications and outreach programs. The Associate also assists with administrative support to the office as a whole, as coordinated by the Executive Assistant, and carries out such other tasks as may be assigned by the Director.
- As directed by the Director, develop, maintain, and regularly update online content, including website and blog in WordPress, and social networking sites using stories and images.
- Provide social media support, posting to social networking sites as directed and monitoring online media for topics related to Friends programs and activities.
- Assist in creation of content calendar for social media and electronic communications.
- Under the direction of the Director, prepare e-news monthly in Constant Contact/MailChimp and all other e-blasts as needed.
- Prepare photography and other media for publication and maintain the digital media library in Adobe LightRoom.
- Assist with copyediting and proofreading on all electronic and print materials.
- As assigned by the Director, write content for blogs, online and email communications, publications, brochures, and promotional materials.
- Coordinate creative design, copywriting, and production, for collateral and direct mail pieces, including newsletters, posters, post cards, signage and advertising.
- Coordinate updates and printing as needed for fliers and other materials.
- Support the Director in ensuring proper and consistent use of the Friends name, brand, and logo.
- Coordinate the “info” email account by routing email messages to the appropriate staff member.
- Assist with writing press releases and media advisories. Create and maintain media lists.
- Support the Director in planning and executing regular Communications and Outreach Committee meetings.
- As directed by the Director, field media inquiries.
- Assist with outreach event planning and on-site logistics, including but not limited to all major Friends events.
- Under the guidance of the Director, provide all program coordination and administrative support for the Tour Guide Program, Untold Stories of the Public Garden.
- As needed, coordinate volunteers leading public programs or working on special projects.
- Help to implement the Friends outreach strategies to increase attendance at events and public programs.
- Under the coordination of the Executive Assistant, answer telephone calls and provide receptionist duties together with the Development Associate, providing excellent customer service to all callers and members of the public who visit the office.
- A Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 1-2 years of relevant work experience are required. A strong desire to learn and an abundance of transferable skills may be substituted for work experience.
- Excellent administrative, interpersonal, written and oral communications skills, including an understanding of website maintenance and social and traditional communication methods.
- Proficiency with WordPress, HTML, and skill with Adobe Creative Suite (LightRoom and InDesign) and Microsoft Office Suite applications.
- Ability to be organized, collaborative, self-directed and self-motivated, and customer-service oriented.
- Experience supporting, developing, and implementing communications and outreach plans and assisting with events is a plus.
- Experience/interest in photography and graphic design is highly desired.
- Interest in the mission and programs of the Friends.
- Ability to be flexible and able to work harmoniously in a small office environment.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email your resume and cover letter to opportunities @friendsofthepublicgarden.org. No phone calls, recruiters, or staffing firms, please! Deadline for submissions is Friday, August 31, 2018. Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter addressed to Susan Abell at the above address. Resumes received without cover letters will not be considered. Our website is www.friendsofthepublicgarden.org.