Working under the guidance of the Director of Communications & Advocacy, The Volunteer & Engagement Coordinator is responsible for coordinating and organizing the volunteer efforts, internship opportunities, and outreach events at Mamatoto Village, collaborating across departments to strategically expand the organization's presence, deepening relationships with community members, and elevating the organizations influence.
ATTRIBUTES OF A COMPETITIVE CANDIDATE
- At least two years of volunteer management and community outreach and engagement experience
- A natural communicator with a passion for creating quality connections
- A warm and approachable demeanor
- Considerate listener and believes that the community voice must be centered
- A creative and strategic thinker
- A patient team member willing to test out new ideas
- Understanding and application of interdependence and self-motivation in a work setting
- History of working with a diverse population in a mutually respectful manner, using a strengths-based approach
- Engages in critical inquiry to promote self-awareness and accountability and implement liberatory frameworks within personal and team objectives and deliverables
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Other duties may need to be assigned to meet organizational needs.
- Engage individuals who express interest in volunteer opportunities.
- Identify and explore potential volunteer partnerships within local organizations, schools, or groups.
- Collaborate with leadership within each of the organization’s departments to source volunteer opportunities and maintain contact to ensure that the needs of volunteers are being met in each department.
- Assist with drafting and maintaining volunteer waiver documents and background checks as applicable.
- Train volunteers in their designated duties.
- Supervise the completion of assigned duties and communicate with departments regarding progress.
- Collect volunteer information, availability, and skills, and maintain an up-to-date database.
- Maintain volunteer schedules and assign tasks based on volunteers’ skill sets.
- Conduct periodic volunteer evaluations.
- Cultivate a pool of interns and fellows from local universities
- Work collaboratively with the Advocacy and Partnership Manager to establish partnerships for intern acquisition.
- Collaborate with leadership within the organization to identify needed interns and assist with drafting intern roles and responsibilities.
- Onboard interns.
- Conduct internship evaluations and complete any associated documentation needed for their educational institution.
- Maintain intern schedules.
- Assist in organizing internal and external events, as assigned by the Director of Communications and Advocacy.
- Assist with the organization of town halls, forums, table talks, and other community engagement events under the direction of the Director of Communications & Advocacy.
- Assist in planning outreach events at the direction of the Director of Communications & Advocacy.
Outreach & Engagement
- Maintain knowledge about basic elements of the organization’s core programming.
- Make contact and develop rapport with community members, organizations, and agencies as directed by the supervisor.
- Maintain relationships and interact with community members and organizations in a culturally sensitive, respectful, and professional manner.
- Participate in local and regional coalitions, meetings, and community outreach and networking events, as directed, to advance Mamatoto Village’s mission and vision.
- Support programming, communications, and operational strategies to deepen relationships with Black birthing people, Village Keepers, partner agencies, and community members.
- Identify opportunities to further organizational strategic priorities and strengthen the base of community-based relationships.
- Plan, execute, and facilitate a calendar of outreach and engagement activities/events where we can increase Mamatoto Village’s brand awareness.
- Monitor community engagement activities, contribute to reports, and participate in the development of program evaluation projects.
- Complete ongoing professional development as necessary and directed by supervisor.
- Track volunteer, internship, and outreach metrics and regularly report to the Director of Communications & Advocacy.
- Provide input towards the department's implementation of the strategic plan to help deepen community relationships, involvement, and impact.
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS TO FOSTER SUCCESS
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field or an Associate’s Degree with three years of relevant experience
- Experience in volunteer management and recruitment.
- Experience in event planning
- Working knowledge of databases.
- Excellent organization and team-building skills.
- Must be able to work with sensitive and protected information in a confidential manner
- Outstanding verbal and written communication; Skills in writing notes and reports
- Self-motivated, able to balance multiple and competing priorities or deadlines, excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to track multiple tasks as delegated to program staff
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of a team
- Strong focus on being strategic, problem-solving, and solution-focused
- Ability to organize and maintain complete, accurate records and file reports promptly
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evening and weekend hours
- Reliable Transportation
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop trusting relationships with diverse constituencies and communities
- Ability to successfully plan, organize and execute outreach events and other engagement tactics