991 W. Hedding Street
AGENCY DESCRIPTION: The Asian Law Alliance (ALA) is a non-profit community law office that has provided legal services, community education and advocacy services since 1977 to the Asian and Pacific Islanders communities in Santa Clara County. Priority areas are immigration, housing, domestic violence, public benefits and civil rights.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Client Counseling and Representation: Conduct intake; provide representation in both affirmative and defensive immigration cases before USCIS, EOIR and the BIA.
Community Education: Organize and conduct presentations on various legal topics. Drafting and reviewing community education pamphlets.
Community Organizing/Advocacy: Advocacy work on community issues as required; networking with other service providers, organizations and government agencies to enhance services to the Asian and Pacific Islander communities.
· Must be an active member in good standing of the State Bar. California Bar membership is preferred but not required
· Must have at least two years of experience in general immigration law
· Minimum of two years of experience in removal defense is strongly preferred
· Must have a demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the needs of the low income immigrant community
· Bilingual skills in Asian Pacific Islander language or Spanish highly desirable
· Must be willing to work flexible hours including evenings and/or weekends
· California driver’s license and own vehicle required
medical; dental; and vision plans; sick leave; paid vacation, 403(b) plan, flexible spending plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual skills in Asian Pacific Islander language or Spanish highly desirable
Minimum Education Required