Friends of the Children is seeking a creative, collaborative web designer to join our National Team and strengthen our digital marketing efforts. Our model is proven to impact generational change by empowering youth who are facing the greatest obstacles through relationships with salaried professional mentors – 12+ years, no matter what. We are seeking a strong communicator who has a proven background in User Experience (UX) and User Interface (UI) Design and a passion for web design and digital marketing.
This Web Designer will be a key player on our passionate and nimble team, amplifying the voices of the children, families, and communities we serve in 26 sites across the country.
The Web Designer reports to Director of Marketing and Communications & Director of Technology Solutions. The Web Designer is responsible for creating and maintaining the front-end, user experience for online sites and systems and will work with various teams, including IT and Marketing, and with chapters across the country. This team member designs and maintains a great user experience for both internal and external site visitors.
The ideal candidate will lead a variety of different web projects that might include: working with a consultant on SEO and accessibility website audits; building out the National site to address our work with Tribal communities and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion; integrating our 30th anniversary campaign throughout the website and Network; and building additional sites and pages including an intranet and an internal on-demand educational tool called Friends Learning Academy.
You will strengthen the Friends of the Children website for National and across our Network, helping increase engagement with stakeholders, collection of data, and efficiency of work. This will include:
- Evaluating and managing time, resources, and deadlines to produce desired web and online products both individually and as part of a team
- Creating design within a content management system or other managed system, including code snippets and integrations as needed
- Illustrating design ideas using storyboards, process flows and sitemaps
- Creating product prototypes, build navigation buttons, search fields, etc.
- Conducting usability testing
- Analyzing user feedback and activity and iterating to enhance user experience
- Leading with best practices for Cloud IT systems including security (e.g., SSL), database integration, database management, and accessibility
- Keeping up to date with the latest design trends, tools, and technologies
Are you this amazing leader? Here's what we have to offer you:
- Opportunity to help grow and support an organization that demands equity from ourselves and from our community.
- Opportunity to partner with a diverse, growing network of independent chapters across the country to implement long-term, sustainable change.
- A comprehensive benefits package.
- Compensation commensurate with experience and geographical location: $75K-$90K.
- Most of all, you get to lead meaningful initiatives for an exceptional organization that helps children facing incredible odds change their life stories every day.
Want to know more? See the job description below:
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended as a comprehensive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Web site design and support (approximately 45% design work and 30% support work)
- Work with Friends of the Children – National team to keep the national website fresh and dynamic. Partner with marketing department to build creative designs to house new content
- Be a critical member of a technology team that includes infrastructure, helpdesk, and web development
- Support the web staff across the Network of Friends of the Children chapters to keep their websites updated
- Problem-solve web functionality and content challenges through a Help Desk ticket system
- Create and maintain SharePoint themes for organizational intranet sites
- Assist with user dashboard designs for the Learning Management System and User Interface modifications for other web-based organizational systems
- Assist in organizational expansion by creating new chapter sites and updating National. Populate new sites with content from chapter staff
- Assist National and chapters with a variety of projects, acting as a key stakeholder and contributor
Training (approximately 15% of work
- Train National and chapter staff on posting and maintaining web elements and best practices for web. This includes leading recurring training opportunities for staff to proactively address challenges
- Create best practices tools and provide quarterly training to new/changing staff at National and chapters
- Create on-demand training content, such as videos and wiki articles related to key challenges for staff
Data (approximately 10% of work)
- Manage Google Analytics for the Friends of the Children Network, creating a process for automated and/or customized reports for chapters and National
- Assist in creating and placing tracking codes for fundraising and paid social and Google Display campaigns
- Assist in the maintenance of a Digital Asset Management system/tool
- Maintain detailed and accurate asset descriptions in web-based systems
- Ensure data is appropriately categorized and formatted in web-connected databases
Required Education, Experience, and Abilities:
- 1 to 3 years of proven UX designing experience
- A strong portfolio of websites, social media graphics, or other UX designs
- Solid understanding of technologies used to deliver dynamic web content such as Content Management Systems (Craft or Drupal preferable), PHP, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Apache, DNS, SSL
- Expert proficiency with html and coding necessary for website and landing page creation
- Excellent communication skills and proven collaboration across teams
- Knowledge of wireframe tools
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work methodically and meet deadlines
- Deadline oriented with strong attention to detail
Preferred Experience, and Abilities:
- Degree in Design, Fine Arts, Development, or related field is a plus
Compensation and Benefits:
Medical, Dental, Vision (Organization pays up to the employee only rate)
Life Insurance (Organization paid)
401k with 4% match