2018-2019 Research Associate Positions at the National Endowment for Democracy (Job #1825)
- Job posted by National Endowment for Democracy
Full Time Temporary
1025 "F" Street, NW
District of Columbia
Summary: The Reagan-Fascell Democracy Fellows Program at the National Endowment for Democracy (NED) seeks to hire up to three Research Associates for the 2018-2019 fellowship year (dates of employment September 17, 2018–August 31, 2019).
Background: Dedicated to international exchange, the Reagan-Fascell program offers democracy activists, scholars, and journalists from around the world the opportunity to spend five months in residence at NED’s International Forum for Democratic Studies, in Washington, D.C., in order to reflect on their experiences and consider lessons learned; conduct research and writing; develop contacts and exchange ideas with counterparts; and build ties with a global network of democracy advocates. The program hosts two cohorts of fellows per year (October-February and March-July).
Responsibilities: Each Research Associate is assigned to work closely with several fellows in each cohort. Duties include:
· consulting with fellows on the shape and direction of their projects
· providing research, written, and editorial support for fellows’ projects and products
· facilitating fellows’ networking and outreach
· aiding in the preparation and follow-up of fellows’ presentations
· helping international fellows acclimate to living in Washington, D.C.
· assisting staff with administrative responsibilities and projects, including the annual competition, events, publications, and promotion
· B.A. in political science or a related field required
· 1–2 years of work experience
· Web and computer proficiency (especially Microsoft Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
· Knowledge of one or more foreign languages preferred
· Experience living, working, or studying abroad a plus
· Legal authorization to work in the United States
The successful applicant will (1) have a keen interest in democracy and human rights; international development, the social sciences, or area studies; (2) possess excellent research and writing skills; (3) demonstrate professionalism and strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work well in a team setting; and (4) display a dedication to international exchange and to supporting individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds.
Duration: The program seeks to hire a full-time Research Associate at 40 hours per week starting September 17, 2018 through August 31, 2019. RAs are expected to commit to work for the entire duration of the fellowship year. RAs serve as temporary full-time employees, with benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Candidates must include a cover letter, resume, completed NED employment application, salary history with requirements, and contact information for three professional references. Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org, with Job #1825 – Research Associate - YOUR NAME in the subject line. Your cover letter should address why you are interested in serving as a Research Associate with the Reagan-Fascell Democracy Fellows Program and indicate any regional interests or language skills. Short-listed candidates will be asked to complete a writing test. The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org. Please, no phone call inquiries. www.ned.org/NED-Full-Employment-Application.pdf