The Senior Advisor for Political Parties will provide technical expertise and support for IRI’s political party programming, identify and analyze key trends regarding political parties and citizen political engagement globally, build external relationships and partnerships, and ensure the Center for Global Impact (“The Center”) and IRI’s internal Political Parties Community of Practice, and the Institute’s Learning Agenda and related organizational learning efforts are building and sharing expertise, resources and skills Institute-wide. The Senior Advisor will be part of the Center’s technical advancement team, reporting to the Deputy Director for Technical Advancement. In collaboration with other senior leadership, the Senior Advisor will play a key role in developing strategic partnerships as well as representing and increasing awareness of IRI on assigned topics within the government, think tank, non-profit, academic research and private sector communities. The Senior Advisor will contribute to and lead the Center’s involvement in developing innovative, responsive program approaches and tools for the Institute on political party support and strengthening programming, with an emphasis on how parties engage citizens in political processes. The Senior Advisor will also work closely with the Center’s Evidence and Learning Practice (ELP) to measure and demonstrate the impact of the Institute’s political party and political engagement programs.
· Ten or more years of relevant professional experience in the field of political campaigns, foreign assistance for political parties and multi-party political systems.
· Proven record working on political party strengthening programs internationally.
· Demonstrated knowledge and experience with the theory and practice of social and behavioral approaches to citizen political engagement, with emphasis on outcomes like voter registration, voter turnout, issue and candidate persuasion, volunteer recruitment and retention, and ballot roll-off.
· Strong written and oral communications and presentation skills in English.
· Ability to effectively direct or participate in complex negotiations with bilateral and/or multilateral government agencies, other funders or relevant audiences.
· Ability to work independently and as a member of a team to coordinate and lead the efforts of other professionals to effectively meet regional needs.
· Proven knowledge of USG funding regulations, and familiarity with international NGO interlocutors.
· Experience identifying complex problems and developing creative solutions.
· Familiarity with impact evaluation approaches to political engagement interventions, including randomized controlled trials (RCTs, randomized evaluations, or field experiments) and quasi-experimental evaluation designs.
· Willingness to travel to remote countries.
· Graduate degree in political science, international relations or related field preferred.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities
External Outreach & Thought Leadership
· Serves as a subject matter expert on political engagement and specifically political party support/systems
· Analyze trends and conduct research on parties and political engagement and utilize that information to inform and publicize IRI’s experiences, approaches and results through various mediums.
· Analyze funder trends related to political party programming in the DRG sector and lead and support the Institute’s efforts to identify and win new funding from traditional donors and foundations on political party programming and initiatives.
· Identify and seek new business development opportunities and develop strong professional relationships with potential donors and partners in the political parties/systems field.
· Proactively engage in outreach and branding opportunities to increase IRI as a thought leader in the community.
· Publish and/or co-author Op-Ed, blogs, and other written articles to demonstrate IRI’s thought leadership and technical areas of expertise.
· Develop and cultivate strong contacts with key stakeholders in the DRG and international development/foreign policy/think tank community particularly on technical or global areas of IRI’s work assigned.
· Identify and seek opportunities for him/herself and other IRI staff to participate in global and thematic events and initiatives including speaking events and global conferences.
· Contribute to the development and promotion of products, resources and tools that are used by staff and donors and partners and used for program development and outreach purposes.
Internal Engagement & Technical Advice
· Provide expert advice on issues related to political parties (organizational capacity building, leadership development, internal bylaws, financing, campaigning, recruitment, outreach, etc.) to IRI staff, political parties, donors, and relevant institutions.
· Lead the collection and development of political party support related tools and provide trainings on related programming components for IRI staff and partners.
· Develop and maintain strong collaborative relationships with colleagues across the Institute, particularly Regional Division leadership, and the Evidence and Learning Practice (ELP) and reinforce the Center’s inclusive, collaborative approach to staff across the Institute, and provide technical support to Regional Division staff.
· Work closely with ELP to maintain and update the political parties and political engagement component of the Institute’s annual Learning Agenda.
· Develop and disseminate up-to-date evidence-based guidelines on political engagement strategy and tactics, including, but not limited to, constituent identification, developing campaign targeting plans, canvassing, events and rallies, phone and SMS contact, mailers and flyers, and digital advertising and engagement.
· Provide IRI with technical expertise and assistance in developing program ideas and activities for emerging projects on political party programming areas.
· Develop and contribute to the development of program ideas and activities for new proposals and current projects for Center-led and Center-supported new proposals.
· Provide oversight for the management and implementation of any grants/projects assigned and assume fiduciary responsibility for assigned program finances including analysis, budget monitoring and projections in full compliance with IRI and funder requirements.
· Supervise staff as needed.
The Senior Advisor for Political Parties will provide technical expertise and support for IRI’s political party programming, identify and analyze key trends regarding political parties and citizen…
Please submit resume and cover letter to HR website.
Please submit resume and cover letter to HR website.