The St. Nicks Alliance Division of Youth and Education is hiring a full-time or part-time Coordinator for its mobile library, the BK Story Voyager. The BK Story Voyager is the flagship of St. Nicks Alliance School Success Model which integrates schools, family and community in an effort to increase the number of children who read at or above grade level. Specifically designed for St. Nicks Alliance by Pratt Institute, our brightly colored BK Story Voyager is a unique, child-friendly bus devoted to stimulating a positive reading atmosphere and increasing access to books for children. The BK Story Voyager travels four-five days/week to our afterschool centers, local schools and community events to deliver literacy lessons and promote reading through book borrowing and book give aways.
The BK Story Voyager (BKSV) Coordinator oversees the BKSV’s operations, manages adn grows our 10,000-title book collection and serves as lead curriculum writer and educator. The successful candidate will: be highly organized, function well autonomously, possess cultural competence and creativity, be a skilled curriculum writer and facilitator, and understand literacy and child development.
Part-time schedule is Monday-Friday from 1-6 pm. Full-time will also be considered. This opportunity is ideal for an educator, youth developer or library enthusiast passionate about bringing books and literacy to children.
Essential Job Functions include, but are not limited to:
● Coordinate schedule to afterschool centers and community events.
● Work with the driver to ensure routine maintenance and repair needs are met.
● Continually stock and inventory mobile library with a diverse selection of books, resources, games, and literary materials.
● Manage cataloguing system and book check out/returns system (Follett)
● Prep all materials for lessons and staying on schedule with the literacy theme.
● Develop consistent routines regarding how to borrow, store and return books as well as how to select appropriate reading materials based on age and reading levels.
● Develop professional relationships with bus drivers, site directors and activity specialists in order to optimize the BKSV experience for both students and staff.
● Develop curriculum and facilitate lessons
● Work closely with the Education Manager to ensure that every aspect of the BK Story Voyager is running smoothly
● Bachelor’s degree in related field, such as Elementary Education, Literacy, Child Development or Library Sciences.
● 2+ years experience implementing age-appropriate literacy lessons/activities and effective behavioral management strategies with elementary age students in both classroom and small group settings.
● Ability to effectively interact with a diverse population of students from various educational, cultural and socio-economic backgrounds as well as exhibiting sound judgment and maturity in dealing with the public and St Nicks Alliance staff.
● Strong planning, organizational, interpersonal, and problem solving skills
● Computer literate--Microsoft Suite and Google Suite a must, online databases and internal catalogue system a strong plus.
● Ability to lift and carry 10-25 lbs and push and pull objects weighing 10-25 lbs.
● Clean background check as per DYCD, DOH, and DOE
● Candidates who are artistically/musically inclined, have experience in working in library settings as well as having teaching experience in urban areas are highly encouraged to apply.
The St. Nicks Alliance Division of Youth and Education is hiring a full-time or part-time Coordinator for its mobile library, the BK Story Voyager. The BK Story Voyager is the flagship of St…