The Community Schools Director will provide program oversight and the integration and alignment of school- and community-based services throughout an expanded learning day (such as health, mental health, counseling and academic enrichment).
- Serve as an advisor to the principal, providing leadership for coordinating the work of different partners within the school, and aligning the work of partners with the school faculty
- Work with school leadership to maintain a focus on results and track progress
- Organize Community School Team (CST) Meetings, support the development of the school’s Community School Plan and/or community school components of school’s Renewal School Comprehensive Educational Plan (RSCEP), and oversee the plan’s implementation.
- Develop strong relationships with parents, students, and teachers, and ensure that all stakeholders understand what a community school is and how it supports student achievement.
Expanded Learning Time (ELT):
- Work with CST, teachers and partner agencies to integrate expanded learning and enrichment activities before, during or after the school day
- Build relationships and mechanisms to effectively link the school day to expanded learning activities
- Provides oversight of all direct out-of-school-time service activity at assigned site during the program year and ensures these services are implemented with fidelity and work to achieve key youth development outcomes in the areas academic achievement, health and wellness and character and leadership.
- Supervises Assistant Site Director, responsible for all site-based direct service staff as well as providing guidance and support to all program volunteers to ensure achievement of these outcomes as well.
- Serve as a primary liaison to site-based leadership (i.e.: School Principal) and serve as BGCHarlem liaison to all school-based leadership teams and associations where appropriate.
- Serve as primary contact for all site-based program partners and other site-based stakeholders; including parents/guardians
- Support in quality assurance reporting for all BGCHarlem out-of-school time services at assigned site (s).
- Work with the Director of Operations to ensure that sites are adequately resourced and operational
- Facilitate out-of-school activities and other programming as needed at assigned site(s) as needed
- Organize and oversee assets and needs assessments and seek input from teachers, school staff, parents and students to determine ongoing needs of students and families to address barriers to school attendance
- Identify high need students, coordinate with teachers to target interventions, and track and monitor impact of interventions.
Family Engagement Support:
- Work with Principal, CST, and Parent Coordinator to implement a transformative model of family engagement that creates strong school-to-home partnerships for learning. Support special events that promote family engagement
Coordination of Social Services:
- Serve as a point person for coordinating critical health/mental health; basic needs and other supports for students and their families
- Identify local community resources and broker new partnerships that are aligned with school goals and needs
- Develop and institutionalize partnerships with external social service, community development partners
- Additional duties as assigned by Advantage After-School Program Director and Director of Programs
- Bachelor’s Degree required in related field, Master’s Degree preferred with 2-3 years successful experience of supervising staff
- Ability to work effectively with school-aged youth, educators, families and communities from a wide range of cultural, social and economic backgrounds.
- Experience working in school-based settings with at least two years working in a managerial role within a school and/or community-based organization serving schools.
- Knowledgeable on the principals of community organizing, student support services, and youth development theories.
- Ability to work collaboratively, with strong relationship building skills.
- DOE fingerprinting and background clearances required.
- Bilingual preferred, Spanish Speaking.