Software Engineer - Full Stack Developer
- Job posted by Mental Health Association of New York City, Inc.
About (MHA) of New York City. The organization is at the cutting edge of harnessing new technologies to expand methods in which consumers can receive clinically sound behavioral health services. MHA operates 14 different crisis hotlines, including the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, the National Disaster Distress Helpline, and the NFL Life Line, as well as New York City’s LifeNet and New York State’s HOPEline for addictions. The organization is a national and local leader in developing and implementing innovative new approaches to providing b health services and interventions via telephone, web chat, and SMS text message.
Under the supervision of the Lead Architect, the incumbent assists in designing, developing, and implementing software applications with an emphasis on rich client web-based applications and data driven reporting to support to the efforts of MHA; maintains and improves upon existing systems and software in collaboration with the programming team; participates in planning and implementing upgrades and new software installations; performs research, testing, and evaluation of potential new systems and software under the guidance of the Lead Architect and other Project Managers; writes technical specifications and documentation; performs other related duties as requested.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists in designing, developing and implementing complex software applications with an emphasis on rich client web-based applications and analytics under close supervision of the Lead Architect.
- In collaboration with the Lead Programmer, maintains and improves upon existing systems, infrastructure and software.
- Participates in planning and implementing upgrades and new software installations.
- In collaboration with the Lead Programmer and other Project Managers, performs research, testing, and evaluation of potential new systems and software under the guidance of the Lead Programmer.
- Writes technical specifications and documentation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Excellent comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, vision, supplemental income insurance, pre-tax transit/parking, pre-tax FSA for medical and dependent care, and 401K available.
Level of Language Proficiency
- Bachelor's degree and 2-4 years of related experience (or equivalent combination of education and experience).
- Comfortable with full-stack development, unit testing and continuous integration (Jenkins).
- Strong knowledge of Object-Oriented programming.
- Strong knowledge of scripting languages such as Python/PHP.
- Experience with MVC frameworks (Django) and Content Management Systems (Wordpress).
- Strong relational database skills.
- Excellent UNIX skills, including some system and server administration.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- An open source portfolio.
- Ability to present and lead workshops in related topics.
- Familiarity with Design Patterns, agile development, and continuous deployment.
- Experience with DevOps, configuration management, containers (Docker), and cloud services (AWS).
- Experience developing enterprise-class web applications.
- Experience working with big data sets, enrichment pipelines and analytics.
- Understanding of one or more of the following: mobile development, data visualizations.
MHA-NYC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for positions without regard to veteran status, uniformed service member status, race, creed, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship status, national origin, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, caregiver status or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Minimum Education Required