Details: Mid to high 40’s, based on experience
260 Sumner St
Since 1991, ZUMIX has provided music & creative technology programs for youth ages 7-18 in the Greater Boston area. We provide out-of-school programs throughout the year including: songwriting, audio & video technology, community radio, and instrumental music instruction. ZUMIX’s goal is to foster young people’s personal development, artistic growth, civic engagement, and workforce development as well as to promote the 21st century skills needed to achieve success in college and career. For more information on our work, please visit www.zumix.org.
Reports to: Director of Operations
The Creative Tech Manager leads a diverse team of youth development professionals in providing programming in audio, video, and repair/tech (Z-Tech). In addition the Creative Tech Manager is responsible for initiatives, systems, and relationships pertaining to the Z-Tech department and ZUMIX as a whole.
• Hire, train, supervise, and support Z-Tech staff, youth staff, and volunteers
• Manage administrative functions and systems for Z-Tech department
• Oversee ZUMIX Live Sound Service & ZUMIX Recording Service
• Manage administration and distribution of ZUMIX's digital music output
• Establish, strengthen, and maintain relationships with partners, clients, and donors
• Corporate donor cultivation (audio/video specific)
• Program design and curriculum development for Z-Tech department
• Direct Service: Teach live sound reinforcement, studio recording, electronic music production to ZUMIX participants age 12-18
• Coordinate guest artist visits, supplemental trainings, and interdisciplinary workshops for staff and students
Facility & Systems
• Design and ongoing maintenance of technology spaces and systems
• Coordinate Z-Tech equipment inventory, maintenance, and repair and support these processes throughout ZUMIX
• Selection and purchasing of audio/video software and hardware
• Serve as Liason to the ZUMIX IT team
• Demonstrated professional experience in at least 2 of the following areas: live sound production, studio management and/or recording/mixing
• 5+ years experience in youth development/education, preferably in a nonprofit/community-based setting or public school.
• 2+ years experience in a supervisory or management position
• Degree in nonprofit administration, arts or music education, or media/technology preferred, Masters degree strongly preferred
• Strong budgeting skills, and experience purchasing in volume and for institutional use
• Excellent relationship building and interpersonal communication skills, including a sense of humor
• Ability to manage multiple, cross-departmental priorities and campaigns, and work collaboratively
• Musical experience as a performer, songwriter or teacher strongly preferred
• Proficiency at professional level with many of the following: Avid Pro Tools, Propellerheads Reason, iZotope plugins including Ozone and RX, loudspeaker management, analog and digital consoles, outboard processing, microphones and placement, multitrack recording and mixing of 16+ tracks, mixing for live broadcast
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs, and Apple OS/iOS
• Strong project management skills; an ability to thrive working under deadlines and handling multiple tasks without sacrificing attention to detail.
• Strong audio hardware and software troubleshooting skills
• Ability to be a strategic partner and leader among a team with diverse roles and viewpoints
• Strong commitment to youth development and the arts.
• Proactive approach to problem-solving
• Strong commitment to breaking the cycle of unequal representation in creative technology fields. (note - more than 50% of Z-Tech’s youth participants are female and many are Spanish speakers.) Women and Spanish speakers are encouraged to apply
ZUMIX does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
ZUMIX is an equal opportunity employer. Benefits include generous paid vacation, holidays, & sick days, life insurance, health insurance, dental insurance, professional development funds, and a creative, flexible organizational culture
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Spanish and/or Portuguese strongly encouraged and preferred
Minimum Education Required