Details: Salary commensurate with experience
200 N Glebe Road
The Treatment Advocacy Center is a small, national nonprofit dedicated to eliminate barriers to timely and effective treatment for people with severe mental illness. For twenty years, we have been effecting positive change in states across the country, making national headlines, and helping to alleviate suffering of those in need of care.
We have an immediate opening for a communications associate -- a motivated individual with sharp press and digital media skills to help drive our work in the public eye, to help engage grassroots advocates, and to provide communications support for our research, advocacy, and development departments.
The position offers an excellent opportunity to hone a wide range of communication skills with an organization that promotes innovative research and legislative advocacy in the interest of reforming the broken mental health treatment system in America.
We are looking for a strategic doer who thrives in a small, team-environment and has a passion for tackling tough policy challenges. S/he needs to be a self-starter with a positive attitude who can coordinate and collaborate with senior staff, juggling myriad responsibilities in a mission-driven environment. The ideal applicant will have a good working knowledge of politics and the media at the state and federal level.
- Drafting statements, letters and responses to breaking news, as well as to messages received online
- Identifying and reaching out to journalists covering mental illness-related issues
- Tracking and reporting on media coverage and online analytics
- Aiding in the maintenance of the organization’s digital platforms, including press lists
Candidates must possess a bachelor’s degree and the following:
- Strong Microsoft Office computer skills; strong html skills a plus
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills, and an attention to detail
- Proven writing, editing and proofreading abilities
- Experience developing social media content
- 2-3 years government, nonprofit or campaign experience working with press logistics and/or directly with reporters
- A good attitude, and the ability to set goals and measure progress
- Sensitivity and commitment to the Treatment Advocacy Center mission
Benefits include: health, dental, 403(b) plan with employer contribution, free on-site parking, and liberal vacation and leave policies. The Treatment Advocacy Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on age, sex, race, religion, color, national origin, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit resume, salary requirements, and a cover letter that specifically addresses how your experience is relevant. Inclusion of URLs to any websites, blogs, Facebook cause/fan pages or other electronic communications you manage is encouraged. Send with subject line “Communications Associate.” No phone calls please.