Northside Charter High School is a public charter school located in the North Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York, and provides students in grades 9-12 with an education that results in mastery of the New York State Learning Standards, high school graduation, and acceptance to colleges and universities of choice by all students.
Essential Job Functions:
NCHS teachers, under the supervision of the Principal and Assistant Principal, plan, organize and execute effective classroom instruction that align with the school’s standards, mission and goals.
Classification: Full-Time - Non Exempt
Reports to: The Principal
- Ability to create IEP’s, attend CSE meetings
- Ability to make appropriate accommodations to lessons
- Adapts classroom work for the purpose of providing students with instructional materials that address individualized learning plans within established lesson plans.
- Administers developmental testing programs, subject specific assessments, etc. for the purpose of assessing student competency levels and/or developing individual learning plans.
- Advises parents and/or legal guardians of student progress for the purpose of communicating expectations; student's achievements; developing methods for improvement and/or reinforcing classroom goals in the home environment.
- Assesses student progress towards objectives, expectations, and/or goals (e.g. behavioral, motor development and communication skills, academic needs, vocational abilities, etc.) for the purpose of providing feedback to students, parents and administration.
- Enter, update, and monitor student grades and attendance on PowerSchool.
- Collaborates with instructional staff, other school personnel, parents and a variety of community resources for the purpose of improving the overall quality of student outcomes, and achieving established classroom objectives in support of the school improvement plan.
- Demonstrates methods required to perform classroom and/or subject specific assignments for the purpose of providing an effective program that addresses individual student requirements.
- Monitors students' behavior/activities in a variety of educational environments for the purpose of providing a safe and positive learning environment.
- Participates in and/or coordinates a variety of meetings (e.g. PLC, IEP, department, school) for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions.
- Prepares a variety of written materials (e.g. grades, attendance, anecdotal records, etc.) for the purpose of documenting student progress and meeting mandated requirements.
- Responds to emergency situations for the purpose of resolving immediate safety concerns and/or directing to appropriate personnel for resolution.
- Responds to inquiries from a variety of sources (e.g. other teachers, parents, administrators, etc.) for the purpose of resolving issues, providing information and/or direction.
- Work closely and effectively with CTT and ELL teachers as applicable
- Classroom coverages (as needed)
- Other instructional support and duties assigned by Principal or Assistant Principal (as needed)
Measures of Accountability:
- Effective planning and preparation
- Engaging and purposeful classroom environment
- Appropriately differentiated instruction
- Accountability for student learning
- Commitment to professional responsibilities
- Attendance and punctuality
- Ability to work well with others and maintain a positive attitude
- Great communication
- (Minimum) Undergraduate degree in Education, Master’s a Plus
- 2 years minimum special education teaching experience
- Great communication skills
- New York teaching certification required in SPED (7-12)
- NYSED Fingerprint Clearance
- Excellent writing and grammar skills
- Proficiency in Google Suite, MS Excel, MS Word, and Outlook in a professional capacity
Full benefits package
Level of Language Proficiency
New York certified
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If interested in this position, please apply using this link