Details: The position will pay between $120,000-$132,000. Civic Nation offers a competitive benefits package including full coverage of health insurance and generous paid vacation, sick days and parental leave.
District of Columbia
Civic Nation is a non-profit organization that uses organizing, engagement and public awareness to address some of our nation’s most pressing challenges. We work with public and private partners to build tools and campaigns that turn great ideas into action.
Civic Nation houses a growing number of large-scale public awareness and organizing initiatives. Current initiatives include: It’s On Us, United State of Women, College Promise Campaign, Reach Higher, Erase the Hate, ALL IN Campus Democracy Challenge, and #VoteTogether. Civic Nation also houses the Creative Alliance, a band of communications experts from over 80 companies donating their talent to support our public awareness campaigns.
Civic Nation launched in 2015 and is a rapidly growing organization. This will be the organization’s first Chief Operating Officer.
The Chief Operating Officer will oversee the successful administration of the organization’s core programmatic functions. Reporting to and working in close collaboration with the Executive Director, the Chief Operating Officer will be a thought partner on critical leadership, operational, and strategic decisions affecting the organization. The ideal candidate will bring proven experience as a senior leader in either the non-profit, government and/or corporate sector with particular strengths in building best practice systems, optimizing operational efficiencies (including HR, accounting, and procurement), creating and stewarding a positive organizational culture, and developing creative solutions to achieve strategic objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The role of the Chief Operating Officer will be to support the Executive Director and help ensure that Civic Nation has a long-range strategy that achieves its mission to connect, engage, and mobilize people to solve problems, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress. Specifically, the position will:
- Manage the organization’s administration in coordination with the Executive Director, Comptroller, Accountant, Lawyer, Auditor and individual campaign Directors
- Work closely with the organization’s senior team of to ensure all work aligns with the organization’s goals
- Equip the senior team of each campaign with training and tools to establish and achieve results-focused goals
- Prepare reports and presentation materials as needed for board meetings;
- Oversee staff meetings, trainings and retreats
- Assist in grant writing and reporting as it relates to the administration of the organization
- Identify best practices to maximize present-day efficiency and effectiveness of internal systems with an eye toward future needs and budget realities
- Oversee the annual budgeting process for the organization, including coordination with the campaign directors
- Oversee the annual organizational audit
- Maintain records of organizational performance through developing, tracking, and reporting on performance metrics
Knowledge, Education and Experience:
- 5-10 years relevant work experience
- Experience developing and managing a budget
- Experience managing HR, benefits and overseeing organizational personnel systems
- Experience going through an auditing process
- Experience managing multiple projects and supervising staff or consultants
- A proven record of success facilitating the implementation of structure within a growing organization
- Strong organizational, interpersonal communications, and problem-solving skills
- A demonstrated team player, keen attention to detail, and a proven ability to successfully manage multiple projects to completion simultaneously
- Experience developing long term strategic plans, including facilitating measureable follow-through and implementation
- A good sense of humor and positive attitude
- Experience hiring, vetting and overseeing staff development (including general HR
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: COO Application by Friday, September 7th. This position is based in Washington, DC with minimal travel required.
Civic Nation is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. Civic Nation is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis. Civic Nation will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.