About Climate Power
Climate Power is an independent strategic communications and paid media operation focused on building the political will and public support for bold climate action. Founded by the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club, Climate Power integrates hard-hitting research, polling, state and national earned media, digital and paid media to influence the national conversation, embolden leaders to take immediate, bold climate action, and expose climate deniers and their oil and gas lobby allies.
About This Role
Climate Power has an immediate opening for a Managing Director, Research. The Managing Director will lead the organization’s research strategies and produce actionable research to drive a national narrative around the importance of climate and clean energy investments, sell the benefits of climate action in key communities, and block efforts to dismantle climate progress.
- Manage strategic direction of Climate Power’s research program, including programmatic goals, and budget and hiring priorities.
- Build and oversee the execution of strategies to produce actionable research that advance campaign priorities.
- Build relationships and coordinate with research leads at other organizations and campaign entities to maximize capacity.
- Oversee frequent, timely, and consistent research updates and tracking materials to Climate Power staff.
- Work closely with the communications team to produce reports, fact sheets, issue briefs and other materials for reporter engagement.
- Coordinate with other Departments, including Managing Directors and senior advisors, to guide rapid response strategy, outreach to the Hill and policy partners, and guide research needs for specific campaigns and projects.
- Author, edit and approve research, paid media and communications materials.
- Monitor and evaluate the impact of Climate Power’s research team by establishing key metrics, analyzing results, and adjusting strategies as necessary.
- Manage a team of staff and consultants.
- Lead on special projects as assigned.
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned as need and capacity dictate.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- At least 10 years of experience in issue advocacy, political campaigns or non-profit experience. Electoral experience required, policy experience a plus.
- 5 years of people and/or project management experience; expertise in leading departments and diverse teams and managing complex projects.
- Must be a strategic thinker and partner with the Senior Leadership Team.
- Able to communicate and action organizational goals, strategies, and tactics.
- Clear understanding of the political landscape.
- Excellent judgment in navigating complex research issues.
- Collaborative leader; must be able to work both collaboratively and independently; Ability to be a proactive self-starter, working independently to move work forward to successful completion.
- Strong organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, manage competing priorities with minimal supervision.
- Strong people skills and exceptional team player.
- Effective communicator —both written and oral.
- Takes initiative, is creative and resourceful.
- Proficiency/familiarity with research tools including but not limited to LexisNexis, campaign finance databases, public records filings, CQ/FiscalNote.
- Willingness to stay up to date on best practices, tools and trends relative to research work.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google Workplace.
Climate Power is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual orientation.