3927 28th Street
Long Island City
Mission Statement: Growing Up Green Charter School empowers children to be conscious, contributing members of their community through a rigorous curriculum and an engaging green culture. Graduates of GUGCS will be prepared to attend high-performing schools where their interdisciplinary academic foundation, knowledge of sustainability, and strong sense of self sets them apart as leaders of the future.
School Culture: GUGCS teaches students our school culture through the acronym GREEN: Growing, Respectful, Empowered, Environmentally Aware, and Now. Through assemblies, class meetings, and various lessons students are taught the expectations of our GREEN culture.
Vision: At GUGCS, we envision an inclusive and diverse school community that places students powerfully at the center of their education through authentic, relevant and rigorous learning experiences, grounded in inquiry; a community that is devoted to doing the work needed to create a space where equity in regards to race, ethnicity, class, sexual orientation, gender, and ability, is a given.
• Facilitate push-in and pull-out direct instruction with English Language Learners, (ELLs), as
well as former ELLs
• Collaborate and co-plan with classroom teachers to scaffold GUGCS curricular programs for
• Coordinate and administer New York state-required assessments, such as the NYSITELL
and NYSESLAT, in order to identify incoming ELLs and monitor the language acquisition of
• Provide staff with guidance on communicating appropriately and effectively with families who
require interpretation and/or translation services
• Review formal and informal assessment data with classroom teachers and/or advisors in
order to track student progress and ensure the appropriate amount of support
• Keep parents informed of student performance and progress
• Employ approaches that address multiple types of learners, (visual, sensory, kinesthetic,
• Collaborate with grade team to integrate curriculum across subject areas
• Use the Responsive Classroom/Developmental Designs model for community-building and
behavior management strategies
• Maintain organized records of anecdotal notes and assessments
• Use data collected on assessments to modify unit plans, inform groupings, and to support
• Participate in grade team and curricular planning meetings
• Create and maintain an engaging and organized physical classroom environment, making
learning accessible to all students
• Actively participate in school community through weekly staff meetings, PD opportunities,
staff committees, school events, etc.
• Work with instructional coach on specific goals throughout the year
• Respond productively to ongoing, year-round professional feedback
• Collaborate with Support Services department (learning specialists, related service
providers) to best target student learning goals
• Use weekly lesson plans to help drive instruction in a clear manner
• Create units of study using Understanding by Design (UBD) practices
• Lead a daily advisory group
• Demonstrate commitment to working with diverse populations of families and students,
including those at-risk
- Strong commitment to Growing Up Green Charter School's mission and green theme
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a team of teachers
- Knowledge of Responsive Classroom and/or Developmental Designs
- Experience in environmental education a plus
- Experience with technology integration
- Excellent organizational skills
- Master's Degree required
- At least one year experience teaching English Language Learners
- At least two years classroom teaching experience in the middle school grades
- Teaching Certificate in TESOL
- Candidates fluent in a language other than English are highly encouraged to apply.
Required Certificates & Licenses: Teaching certificate, NYC DOE/Fingerprinting & Background Clearance
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Growing Up Green is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage and value a diverse workforce, and we seek diversity among applicants for this position.
Please submit a resume and cover letter, attention School Leaders, to the address below. In your cover letter please address the following questions:
What prior experiences qualify you for this position? What experience, if any, do you have with green principles and sustainability?
ONLINE: Please follow this link to apply online:
FAX: (347) 642-4310
POSTAL MAIL: Growing Up Green, Attn: School Leaders
36-49 11th Street
Long Island City, NY 11101
No phone calls please.
For more information about our school, please check our website: www.gugcs.org