Our flagship high school, Brooklyn Ascend High School (BAHS), opened to 9th grade students in September 2015 and will expand by a grade per year through grade 12.
At BAHS, we are looking for educators who believe in restorative practices and teach students to resolve conflicts on their own, understand the impact of their actions, and acknowledge responsibility to the school community. We believe that a true liberal arts education – which fosters and prizes critical thinking and independence of thought—cannot be joined to a no-excuses culture that emphasizes silence and compliance. It is a flagrant contradiction. We prepare students for success in college and in life by fostering agency—our students' confidence that they are in control of their own lives and can act of their own free choices, their conviction that they can assert their voice and power in the world.
We seek deans of instruction who are passionate about both curriculum and coaching – who want to spend their time discussing, preparing, and immersing themselves in the content and professional development they provide to teachers. The dean of instruction is responsible for inspiring teachers to excel in their jobs and to motivate students to achieve their highest potentials. The dean will provide instructional and administrative leadership to the teaching staff, oversee the implementation of the curriculum, coordinate assessments, and monitor students' academic performance. Deans of instruction at Ascend share a hunger for feedback and professional growth, and a dedication to excellence. Discover more about BAHS<img src="https://rs.careerliaison.com/pixel/ybqkbnzz7ch3z3dw"><img src="https://analytics.click2apply.net/vVWZyreIYWYpesWYaFZgWO">
The dean of students will implement school-wide systems and procedures that are structured, predictable, and support the school's highly ambitious academic expectations. Additionally, the dean of students will
- Design and implement community meetings and celebrations to help build a culture of joyfulness
- Design and execute procedures for arrival, dismissal, and other school routines
- Work with the teachers to ensure a successful advisory program
- Provide support to teachers, helping them build and create a warm, structured and responsive classroom culture
- Reinforce and maintain the school's culture of high academic and behavioral achievement by utilizing the Ascend philosophy that discipline is an opportunity for learning, growth, and community-building
- Work directly with high touch scholars to provide supports and structures to ensure their academic progress
- Ensure that Ascend scholars meet high expectations for attendance
- Work with parents, families, and caregivers to build and maintain strong relationships throughout the course of the school year
Staff and reporting relationships
The dean of students reports to the school director, collaborates with the dean of instruction, works closely with the Ascend network, and participates as a member of the school leadership team.
- At least 3 years of teaching experience; urban, charter experience preferred
- Bachelor's degree, with an advanced degree strongly preferred
- Experience coaching teachers preferred
- Strong leadership and team building skills
- Superb organizational, self-management, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Demonstrated success using data to drive instruction, with a strong understanding of pedagogy that drives results
- Insistence on academic excellence and rigor at all times
- A hunger for feedback and an openness to engage in a process of self-improvement
- A high level of ownership over the success or failure of the scholars they lead, defining success in terms of academic results
- Alignment with the educational philosophy and core beliefs of Ascend Learning
- Passion and commitment to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
High School Dean of Students