Advancing Real Change (ARC), Inc. is seeking a Director of Training Development to expand and develop our educational programming for ARC, Inc. staff and the broader criminal defense community. This is a new position and may be located in ARC, Inc.’s Baltimore or Jacksonville, FL office.
The Director will build on ARC, Inc.’s existing programming which provides significant in-house education and skills development to ARC, Inc. staff and expands the available training and additional educational supports to defenders working on behalf of vulnerable clients. Current programming includes in-person and virtual trainings, online resources, and written materials. With the addition of this position, we will expand these offerings significantly. This position is an opportunity to help shape our organization’s training and educational priorities for years to come.
Who we are (and are not)
ARC, Inc. is a small but rapidly expanding nonprofit organization dedicated to taking on significant tasks in furtherance of ensuring that vulnerable criminal defense clients are provided with high quality mitigation investigation and narrative development to which they are entitled. We believe strongly in human dignity and its potential as a force for change in the criminal legal system. We seek to provide our staff members with the compensation, support, and flexibility that will enable them sustain this effort over time. As teammates, we respect each other’s diverse contributions to the work.
ARC, Inc. is neither a private firm nor a government agency. If you are looking for a 9-to-5 job or if you are anything less than 100% committed to the inherent dignity of our clients, we are not a fit for you.
What you will offer
The ideal candidate for this position will bring:
- 5 or more years of professional experience in teaching, training, event coordination, research, or another relevant field,
- Familiarity with major issues in the field of criminal justice and with defense practice, specifically capital and/or juvenile defense practice,
- Commitment to upholding and promoting mitigation investigation best practices, as outlined in the ABA Guidelines for
the Appointment & Performance of Defense Counsel in Death Penalty Cases, the supplementary guidelines for the Mitigation Function of Defense Team in Capital Cases, and the Campaign for the Fair Sentencing of Youth Guidelines for the representation of child clients,
- The ability to provide expertise, mentorship and support to staff at different stages of their professional development,
- The ability to work as part of the larger community of defense practitioners to both utilize expertise and resources outside of our organization and to draw upon ARC, Inc.’s capacity to provide support to others,
- Mindfulness of what is needed to work across cultural differences of all kinds,
- A practice of self-care and resilience in the face of difficult work,
- Creativity in responding to challenges and developing strategies, and
- Eagerness to work as part of a team of mission-driven individuals from diverse backgrounds.
The Director of Training Development is a full-time position that may be based in ARC, Inc.’s Baltimore or Jacksonville office. This position reports directly to the Executive Director and will act as a member of ARC, Inc.’s management team.
The responsibilities of the position include:
As program lead:
- Plan and organize at least two multi-day, in-person trainings per year with an average attendance of 200 people, including:
o Identifying curriculum and potential faculty and facilitators,
o Developing training materials and maintaining consistent branding,
o Coordinating logistics and working with venues, vendors, and other local partners,
o Publicizing and promote training events, and
o Managing event and grant budgets,
- Coordinate ongoing webinars by helping to identify curriculum and contact potential presenters, responding to participant questions, and managing technical aspects of the presentations,
- Apply for and administer CLE and other professional accreditations, including documenting attendance and responding to requests for information from participants and accrediting agencies,
- Provide technical support for our online resources and engage with the website design process as relates to educational offerings,
- Utilize a strong understanding of training best practices to guide programming decisions,
- Design and administer program participant evaluations, and analyze and use results to guide future
- Contribute to the ongoing development of the resource Clearinghouse, including creating materials and identifying existing quality research for inclusion,
- Participate in the drafting of reports and public documents, and
- In collaboration with the Director of Operations and the Development Manager, identify sources of support and build relationships with existing funders.
As a member of the management team:
- Work with Office Directors to plan and provide staff training programs and ensure consistency across locations,
- Participate in organizational decision-making and planning activities,
- Engage with and provide information to the Board of Directors regarding program activities andoutcomes,
- Participate in the performance evaluation and improvement processes for ARC, Inc. employees, and
- Assist with other administrative, fundraising, or programming activities as dictated by the needs of the
Advancing Real Change (ARC), Inc. is seeking a Director of Training Development to expand and develop our educational programming for ARC, Inc. staff and the broader criminal defense community. This is a new position and may be located in ARC, Inc…
What we offer
Benefits include an annual contribution of $4,000 toward health and dental coverage (can be applied to our group plan premium or received as a taxed stipend), an employer-matched retirement plan, financial support for professional development opportunities, and a $50/month stipend to defray transit or parking costs. Our leave policy includes no annual limit on, or pay deductions for, time off. It is our hope that staff members will use this time to balance periods during which cases or other projects require extensive work.
Most importantly, we offer the opportunity to work in an environment that acknowledges that your ultimate responsibility is to ensuring that all those facing criminal charges receive the quality defense that is constitutionally guaranteed to them. Our office will provide every support possible to help you serve as a leading voice for that commitment. By accepting a position with us, you are accepting a role in creating systemic change.
What we offer
Benefits include an annual contribution of $4,000 toward health and dental coverage (can be applied to our group plan premium or received as a taxed stipend), an…
Those wishing to apply for this position should first ensure that they meet the following minimum requirements: 5+ years professional experience, a 4-year degree, clear written and oral expression, willingness to travel, and familiarity with relevant topics in educational programming and in the field of criminal justice.
Additional qualifications that are preferred but not required include a post-graduate degree such as MSW, EDD, JD, or other relevant degree; public speaking experience; and proficiency with website management programs, databases, or other software.
ARC recognizes that people of color are disproportionately impacted by the criminal legal system and seeks to employ staff with representative backgrounds for its clients and the defense community.
Those meeting the minimum requirements should submit a cover letter, resume, contact information for three references, and a brief (3 – 5 page) writing sample. Successful applications will convey the applicant’s fit with the position as described, motivation in pursuing a career in this field, and previous experience with direct supervision or related tasks.
ARC, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer