Details: Commensurate with experience
Since 1877, The Fresh Air Fund has unlocked the limitless potential of more than 1.8 million New York City children from low-income communities. Each year, thousands of children experience outdoor summer adventures through visits with volunteer host families along the East Coast and Southern Canada and at The Fund’s five overnight camps in Fishkill, NY. Fresh Air children also participate in year-round leadership and educational programs.
The Fresh Air Fund is recruiting a Support Services Coordinator to join our Community Outreach, Partnerships and Support Services (COSS) Team. This is a full-time position and is scheduled to begin in early to mid-April 2018.
Under the leadership of the Director of Support Services, the Support Services Coordinator is integral in providing support to New York City families and their children applying to FAF programs. During the registration season, the Support Services Coordinator will supervise Social Work interns to review applications for children who may have special needs/ circumstances.
During the summer months, the Support Services Coordinator will supervise a team that provides 24-hour on-call support to parents, children, host families, camp directors and volunteer leaders. The Support Services Coordinator will utilize child assessment, crisis intervention, counseling and referral techniques as a means of ensuring quality in The Fresh Air Fund’s summer programs. The Support Services Coordinator will work to identify opportunities for partnership and facilitate the technical training needed for community-based agencies.
Support Services Coordinator Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as liaison between the FAF office and the community
- Manage special needs child applications for Camp and Friendly Towns programs
- Research and develop partnerships with potential agencies serving children with special needs, foster care and homeless shelters
- Identify and maintain a children services information and referral directory
- Assist with and/or conduct on-site child registration
- Interview and place children with special needs in Friendly Towns and Camp programs
- Act as a resource and internal subject matter specialist for current issues, trends, and changes associated with children in schools and the New York City community
- Train and supervise Social Work Interns, Volunteers and other seasonal staff
- Supervise a team of social workers that provide 24-hour on-call support during summer months
- Design and implement staffing plans to retrieve information from the 24- hour answering services enlisting the assistance of Friendly Towns and Camping Departments as needed
- Travel to community agencies in New York City as necessary
- Assist with administrative and operational duties for the department: mailings, telephone calls and the creation of marketing materials.
- Must possess an MSW, license preferred. Related fields strongly encouraged to apply (i.e. Case Workers, School Social Workers, Guidance Counselors, Mental Health Specialists)
- Must have at least 2 years of experience in child welfare or foster care or NYC public school system. Supervisory experience a plus
- Must have strong organizational skills and be detail oriented
- Must demonstrate outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, and comfort speaking with families and professionals alike
- Must be patient and friendly, with a high degree of professionalism
- Must have strong computer skills (Microsoft Office)
- Bilingual and fluency in languages other than English (Spanish or Mandarin strongly preferred)
To apply: Please email resumes and cover letters to email@example.com with
Year-Round Support Services Candidate in subject line. No phone calls please
The Fresh Air Fund is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in its work and on its staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations and communities to apply.
Generous benefits package including health insurance, pension and vacation
Level of Language Proficiency
Bi-Lingual; Fluency in Spanish or Mandarin preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please include resume and cover letter