Details: Competitive salary (commensurate with experience)
1625 Clay St.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, you’ll be an integral leader within the organization, providing counsel, strategy and execution on key people-related initiatives. You will develop and lead strategy for organizational culture, performance management, engagement and retention, career development, compensation, and benefits for our fast growing organization with employees across 5 different countries: US, Ecuador, India, Senegal and Brazil.
Vision and strategy: Work closely with our senior leaders to ensure our people and talent strategy are integrated wholly into our growth plans.
Develop an “everyone owns organizational culture” strategy: Work closely with our senior leaders and the Programs Leadership Team to define, socialize and promote a positive organizational culture. Align our policies and practice to ensure every team member feels empowered to own a part in developing and maintaining a positive organizational culture.
Maintain our commitment to equity, inclusion and identity work: Institutionalize an equity lens and mindset into all onboarding and ongoing professional and leadership development processes.
Performance management: Improve our company-wide performance management program and help us better identify high and low performers, promote and reward excellence, and drive continuous, multi directional transparent feedback across all departments and levels.
Professional development: Build scalable professional development programs, grow our team’s capabilities, attract new talent and drive employee retention.
Recruit, onboard and develop new talent: Lead all recruitment efforts to attract exceptional talent at all levels, across all countries Global Citizen Year operates within. Develop a robust onboarding system that codifies training on all Global Citizen Year’s systems, values and performance expectations.
Management and leadership training: Develop strategy and processes that make our leaders better managers; provide coaching and feedback to our existing leadership team and develop programs that prepare high-potential employees for management roles.
Compensation and benefits: Analyze existing global compensation packages and plan future comp across all functions; benchmark our current benefits package, and strategize for additional benefits as we scale.
You lead from a strategic place, always keeping the big picture and long-term vision in mind. You can visualize what an operation will look like at scale, the people needs to create the growth and maintain the quality, and can garner and manage the resources needed to get there. This includes building team capacity and building systems that support both the everyday details and long-term people vision.
You know in your heart people make an organization great. Your lens is people first. You wake up in the morning thinking about how to make people perform better, and how to support their growth in all ways. People fuel the engine and you live and breathe that motto.
People trust you. You build systems and tools that demonstrate you understand people’s needs. That trust comes from your incredible ability to listen carefully and hear the deeper need. You love thinking about how to create amazing work culture and have experience actually doing it. You are committed to seeding a global organizational culture within each unique local context.
You thrive in an entrepreneurial environment. You’re resourceful and at ease with ambiguity and rapid change. You possess a positive, can-do attitude, and are adept at identifying creative solutions that turn challenges into opportunities. You can handle many important responsibilities at once and you’re rigorous about prioritization.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR IN YOU
- 10+ years of relevant professional experience. Relevant is what you make of it – it’s on you to demonstrate it;
- Proven ability to influence and drive change with leadership teams in agile startup organizations, aligning the people strategy with organizational goals and growth;
- Top-notch cross cultural communication skills with the ability to inspire action through lateral and upward management and influence;
- Demonstrated leadership success; people love to work with you;
- Experience living/working internationally;
- Success leading through influence geographically dispersed teams;
- Experience with and commitment to data driven decision-making;
- Superb communication skills (writing, speaking, presenting) that engage and inspire others;
- Fluency in one or more of the following languages a plus: Spanish, Portuguese, French, Hindi, Mandarin;
Additionally, you bring:
- Demonstrated passion for Global Citizen Year’s mission and alignment with its values;
- Professional poise and polish working in a fast-paced environment;
- Exceptional time management and prioritization skills;
- A strong work ethic, with a desire to go above and beyond standard expectations;
- Exceptional judgment and discretion;
- Tech and digital savvy, where your first inclination is to lean into technology as a potential solution.
Comprehensive benefits package.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in one or more of the following languages a plus: Spanish, Portuguese, French, Hindi, Mandarin.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter online. In your online application, please indicate how you learned of the opening and provide three professional references, your salary requirement and the date you would be available to begin full-time work in Oakland. Generic cover letters will not be reviewed.
Deadline: Applications received by July 1st will receive preferential review. The review will continue until the position is filled.
Global Citizen Year is an equal opportunity employer. We know a diverse team produces the best results and we believe our team should reflect the diversity of leadership we aim to inspire. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.